Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Stuttering and Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Forsyth

Forsyth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm having some issues with my newly built PC. Seemingly at random, the computer freezes up and the sound buffer starts repeating making a stuttering effect. Usually if it happens while playing a game, the video output stops completely and the clock on my G15 keyboard stops counting etc.

Most times, it does this a few times in varying intervals ranging from 1-5 seconds before ultimately freezing all together. I don't get a blue screen or any other type of message. I've also noticed that it only seems to happen at most once per day, and that it's more prone to happen if I'm playing a game, although it has happened while watching movies and also when the computer is completely idle.

I've checked the harddrives, and I've also run memory diagnostics. It doesn't seem to be directly temperature related, seeing as it can happen when I'm not even using the system.

Specs:
Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
MB: Asus m4a78-e
CPU: Phenom II X3 BE
GFX: Radeon HD4870
Memory: Corsair XMS2 Xtreme TwinX DDR2 PC6400/800MHz CL5 2x2GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 (300GB + 750GB)

Any help is very much appreciated!

Advertisements