Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop and Laptop Internet

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hi,

I have a desktop and a laptop in the same room. I want both of them to connect to the internet. The desktop connects to a cable modem and the laptop uses wireless, but I do not have a wireless router or anything. As of now, only the desktop connects to the internet via the cable model, but I want the laptop to connect to the internet, as well. What is the best way to connect the laptop to the internet, as well, if it will remain in the same room as the desktop most of the time? Should I get a wireless router or wired? A splitter? What is my best bet? What is the best and cheapest way that won't give me problems in the long run?
Thank you

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The easiest way is to use a wired router (due to security issues), but most wireless routers come with wired ports, so if you go with a wireless router can do either. The non-wireless router is going to be cheaper, especially if you buy it used. You should get a router which also acts as a firewall, so as to better protect the machines behind it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
You need a router.

The modem probably has a IEEE and USB, but you can't use both at the same time, so the only option is to buy a router. They're relatively cheap nowadays. As for a "guarantee" of no problems in the long run, you're with the rest of us... there are no guarantees! :)

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
what kind of router? any recommendations for a good one? brand/model?
which one has a firewall behind it?
Thanks

Edited by hospitaldoctor, 11 September 2009 - 09:55 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There are a ton of routers on the market. You have to read up and make your own choice. Belkin, Linksys, Dlink, Netgear are all good brands that do basically the same thing. HERE's a link to a site with all kinds of information. They have security info also.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
thank you
any brand/models that are highly recommended?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

any brand/models that are highly recommended?

It doesn't matter if anyone highly recommends a router. If you search google, you'll always find problems people have with any manufacture's router. No guarantees anywhere in this electronic world! :)

Seriously... all of these...

Belkin, Linksys, Dlink, Netgear are all good brands that do basically the same thing.

... are comparable. No matter which vendor you choose, you will need to learn how to use it. So read up on all you can... Google is your friend! :)

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
When looking for a good wireless router... what should I look for?
I see a lot of things that are unknown to me
such as:
Standards
Ports
WPA/WPA2
Antenna Type
Features
Receiver Sensitivity

What is important to note?

also, all G's are up to 54Mbps?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
how do i understand the difference between these two:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704002

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you read the page I linked in #5? One of the very first links on that page is "How to buy a Wifi router". This page has all the relevant information you're asking for. I'm here to "assist" you, but I cannot "do this" for you. You have to take the time to learn about what you're going to get involved with... and you do this by doing research... reading.

You have to imagine that every manufacture makes several different routers for people to choose from. Dlink alone has 16 wireless routers. Others have more or less. If I tell you to buy a certain router and it doesn't do what you need it to do, who's going to be responsible.

Please take the time to investigate wireless routers. Once you do, you'll find your understanding will increase 10-fold. Until then, all I can do is point you to places to read... like this WIRELESS ROUTER WIKI. Click on the links for the different manufactures and you'll get a plethora of information.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
My internet provider recommended that I get a G router because my internet only goes up to 54 Mpbs
Is it not good if I get an N router?
Am i better off getting an N or a G?
I was considering this router:
thanks

http://accessories.u...286507#Overview

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
i got the Linksys WRT106N
thoughts?