Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen recorder software won't install on vista 64 bit

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello I am trying to install zdsoft V 2.6.2 screenrecorder onto a brand new vista 64 bit machine.

It does work just fine on vista 32 bit.
have tried running as admin, running in compatibilty mode for XP service pack 2 etc.
Upon installing I get an error message that drivers can't be installed, to reboot and run as admin. Upon operating the program, I get an error message that recording could not begin, please try different codecs, which I have domne repeatedly. Tried every one available.

Looking at the files in my old xp machine for that program I see 2 extra dll files are present in the vista machine. A search of the XP for those dll s in any location comes up dry.
(have not compared it to the 32 bit vista machine yet.)

The newest version, zdsoft screen recorder 4, installs also just fine onto the 64 bit unit, but frankly the program has changed gui and the newest version sucks.

So any suggestions on how to make this thing work, or any other decent screen recording programs out there that anyone recommends please?

I also have camtasia studio, which installs just fine on the 64 bit vista unit, but again that one is a bit of overkill plus the sound recording portion of that is borked for whatever reason.

I also tried free open source camstudio more than once in other machines both vista 32 and XP. That one I could never get to work properly in any machine. It alway killed all audio, can't remember exactly how, but it was a mess.

Edited by mequestion, 10 September 2009 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
why are you using an older version? I see that they have released version 4.0.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I tried the newest version but they have changed everything completely.
The old version is better IMO.

Just guessing that this problem has something to do with dll s not getting registered properly or something like that.

Had a couple other things that needed to be coaxed to get installed.

Any help?

BillSnapWire

BillSnapWire

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
You cannot install 64bit software on 32bit machines (and vise-versa) that is it.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK, good enough.
Found another program to replace the old zdsoft.
It is called debut video capture by NCH software.
It does everything plus more and it has a completely free version.

Not to be argumentative, but I have been able to install all kinds of 32 bit software. There is a 32 bit program files folder in vista 64.
A couple things I had to run a command to get it registered properly though.

For whatever reason, the old zdsoft is just a stickler but I have no doubt it could be made to work one way or another.

Just easier to find a replacement for us non-geeks.

Thanks.

Mephisto_VI

Mephisto_VI

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

You cannot install 64bit software on 32bit machines (and vise-versa) that is it.

Actually, you can install 32 bit software on a 64 bit system, but you cannot use a 32 bit OS with a 64 bit system. I have several 32 bit programs on my computer right now and I am using 64 bit Windows 7 RC.

BillSnapWire

BillSnapWire

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Fair enough, I didnt realise that, but then again I run a 32bit system and try to run other software from Xp does not work, thanks for the info

JessicaD42

JessicaD42

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Mephisto_VI,

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team