Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FSB running TOO FAST after ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply

ropeadopa

ropeadopa

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
surely you pros know some trick to this!

i have an old abit kd7a mobo and amd athalon 2600+(333) cpu.

im trying to install a 1gb dim but once i install my computer will ONLY run at 400mhz FSB. this is extremely odd because i always heard that ram speeds will automatically downgrade to whatever the lowest speed of my other ram is running at. the new stick of ram is 400mhz fsb.

my system is incredibly unstable. I've tried everything within my knowledge. I've experimented clearing the cmos and just running the new ram by itself and my computer is still incredibly unstable and keeps powering off.

i have tried going into the bios and manually selecting the default settings for 2600+(333)amd athalon to force it to run this way and it will either not even let my computer power on (just a screeching beep until i clear cmos again) or it will STILL run at 400mhz. very weird. any ideas?

thank you very much in advance. i will be forever in debt to u if you can help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What the boards supports, what the board reports and what the software you're using reports are three entirely different things.

According to ABit, this board only supports DDR400 when you install 2Gb of memory or less.
Did your symptoms start only after installing this memory?

ropeadopa

ropeadopa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi thanks for the reply.

yes, it was only after installing the memory. defnitely. and thats odd that you say that about the kd7a. I've been running at 333 FSB on this board for what seems like 5 years+ without any problems.

I highly doubt the ram is defective, as its brand new and I made sure to handle with care.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just because it's brand new doesn't mean it isn't defective.
Take it out, if the issues clear themselves either the new memory is faulty or your board doesn't like it.