Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

build a desktop

• Please log in to reply

tazzdman

tazzdman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
okay been a long time for me but gonna build family desktop. here goes for
cpu-AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz
mother board-GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD
case-Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
psu-CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
video-SAPPHIRE 100279-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
mem-OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
hd-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
dvd burner-LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner
okay that is it already have 22 in moniter speakers ect. anything else or changes? will be used to steam movies,surf web,light to med gaming.kids have laptops for school so guess that's about it.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Everything looks excellent really. I think I would go with 1066Mhz RAM instead of 800. It's not a whole lot more. Take a look http://www.newegg.co...archResult=True

EDIT: Have you picked an Operating System by the way?

Also, I don't know where you are buying this from, but I wanted to make sure I recommended Newegg. Here is a combo of your processor and mobo. HERE Saves $20.

I used that same mobo for my parents build and it seems to be working great. I also use that 640GB Caviar Black on my Main i7 Rig and couldn't be happier. That 4870 will handle games very well, good choice. I'm building a computer for a client this week and I have picked that video card for him. Corsair Power Supplies are the best. You have picked nice quality components. :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by Ferrari, 10 September 2009 - 04:53 PM.

tazzdman

tazzdman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks i have a copy of vista ultimate still in wrapper every thing is sitting in newegg shopping cart :0 the memory is in a combo deal with the vid card also the mobo and cpu combo deal all comes to 638 including shipping

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Excellent.

By the way, if you use the DDR2 1066, you can only use one module per channel. So for example, put one in the single channel of the red slot and then the single channel of the yellow slots.

If you use DDR2 800 then just use the yellow slots (I think). Consult the mobo manual to for which color is your main channel.

Good Luck with the build.

Edited by Ferrari, 10 September 2009 - 05:18 PM.

tazzdman

tazzdman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks i feel better about checking out now that someone else has looked me over

tazzdman

tazzdman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
okay put it all together booted right up installed vista rates everything 5.8 or 5.9 this thing is quick love it thanks guys

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm so glad! :) Congrats... :)

Thank you for posting back and letting us know how it went. It is truly one of the only reasons I volunteer my time, to get that good feeling of you thanking me.

Let us know if there are any problems.

J.R. :)