Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, I think I have a virus but not sure, laptop is really slo

• Please log in to reply

deejaystrio

deejaystrio

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'll just describe what happened and hopefully someone has an idea. Please be gentle, I'm not super techy. TY!

this morning my laptop was frozen on the desktop and I couldn't do anything with it. Also my wireless logitech mouse would not move and I changed the battery and reset connection, still nothing. ctrl alt del did nothing and I had to power off to get anywhere. when I powered back on I got a screen that offered safe mode, safe mode with network, last configuration that worked and start windows normal. I tried last config and start windows normal both gave me a blank screen with the processor sounding like it was trying to do something but after a half hour of blank, I powered off again both times.

I tried safe mode and got a full screen of code that made no sense to me and had no prompts for anything and did nothing. Again I couldn't do anything and it sat for an hour with no change, powered down again and waited a couple hours.
Powered back on. I got the option to do f10 for set up which I did and chose to check hard drive, did the long check and got a "pass" then did the system default choice and save and quit. Then I powered off again and finally this time I got windows to open and got my desktop. It was running incredibly slow, 19 min to open the help screen from the start menu and still no mouse working. I chose to do a system restore to a prev date and was unsuccessful with trying 3 different back up dates with an error of "restoration incomplete, no change to your computer".
The mouse is still not working and I can't even locate the logitech folder or drivers for the wireless mouse either, it's like it never existed. Also the "add/remove programs list will not populate, it just sits thinking forever. I can get on the internet but still extremely slow for anything to open. It takes about 5 full minutes just to click open the mouse option in my computer and see the properties.
I went to the logitech site to download the drivers so I could at least use my mouse to try and work on the problem and the install failed due to needing "microsoft.net framework 2.0". I'm currently installing that on the laptop (i'm on my desktop right now) but so far it's taking hours and IS still installing and moving but I'm worried it'll be for nothing. Does anyone have any idea if i'm on the right track or what could be the problem? I appreciate any help at all! My laptop is an HP running windows xp and using the current mozilla firefox browser. I use Norton Internet Security which is updated, I run daily virus scans and keep everything current. thanks in advance.

Deejay

Advertisements