Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error loading Operating system

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
In an earlier post, I described how my daughters laptop would not load her desktop. A friend gave me a windows xp setup disk (xp was pre-installed on the laptop and it came with no disk)
, however when we tried to use it in safemode, we got a message that said "the version of windows xp on your system is newer than the version you are trying to install setup will not continue". One of my sons told me to go to Bootdisk.com and download a winxp bootdisk, then use it to re-format the hardrive on the laptop. He said i would then be able to install windows xp. I formatted the HD but now it will not read from the cd-rom it simply says "error loading operating system".

I have no clue as to what to do next, would someone please help.

Advertisements

Endless_Time

Endless_Time

• Pip
  • 5 posts
u need to boot n to ur bios when u start the computer up press eather F1,F2, or delete to get n to the bios then u need to look for a place n there that will say something along the lines of boot priority or boot config there u need to set the CD drive to be the 1st device to boot to before the harddrive then save ur bios settings then restart the computer and put n ur windows xp disk and it should work

lkellyhome

lkellyhome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thank you I had this problem and got to the bios. thank you now I need to know if this will solve the my udate problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
For: lkellyhome
Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

For: Endless_Time
Please try not to use the shorthand acronymns such as ur,n,etc. There are a lot of people that do not know what they are.

For: Steve DeVore
We need to clarify a few points. You could very well be bordering on illegal software use.
Is the windows XP setup CD being used (installed) on your friends computer?
Is that CD a recovery CD? or a full version CD?
Do you have the install key for your daughters computer?

What are the specs on the computer?
Is it a Dell, HP, Gateway, homebuilt?

123runner