Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buy Vista OEM now for windows 7 upgrade or wait and buy the full versi

• Please log in to reply

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
As you guys already know, I'm in the process of building a new computer. I eventually plan to have it running Windows 7 Home Premium, but what I originally was planning to do was to run Ubuntu on it until I could afford Win7. But, that's not actually financially sound, looking at how much Vista home premium OEM costs ($109) in comparison to Win7 full preorder ($199). Now, this is only supposed to be the preorder price, but I have a feeling the price will be going up.

So, folks, what's the disadvantages to getting Vista first, and then getting the upgrade to Win7 over just waiting and buying Win7?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends how desperately you want the computer.
If you want it now, buy Vista and upgrade later.
If you can wait six weeks, wait six weeks.

That and the fact upgrades from operating system to operating system rarely work and in a lot of cases you end up wiping it anyway.

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Depends how desperately you want the computer.
If you want it now, buy Vista and upgrade later.
If you can wait six weeks, wait six weeks.

That and the fact upgrades from operating system to operating system rarely work and in a lot of cases you end up wiping it anyway.

I'm wondering what the differences would be? Would I end up having to buy Win7 separately anyway? Or would the upgrade be good enough? It's more a money thing at the moment. I'd rather get Win7 for Vista pricing.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Wait for Windows 7.

While the upgrade route seems cheaper, it's not. In order to upgrade, you must have a full install disk for an earlier version of Windows. If you purchase Vista for your machine (full version), you will still have to purchase the upgrade to Windows 7. You'll end up paying as much or more to end up with Windows 7 than you would just buying the full version of Windows 7 to begin with. The full Windows 7 Home Premium (Retail version) can be pre-ordered from Microsoft for $199.00, and it includes both the 32 bit and 64 bit editions...you can install whichever you want, but can only install one or the other. And it's yours to keep to install on your next build, should you so desire.

Installing an OEM version will tie the operating system to the hardware...it lives and dies with the machine. Should you decide to build another machine, you'll have to buy another Windows license in order to install it. OEM versions will include only the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version of the software, but not both. Even with the "free upgrade" option, the software is not really yours to keep...it belongs to your machine and is non transferable.

Another thing to consider is that it's always preferable to do a full, clean install on a new build...or any machine, for that matter. There's less to go wrong during the installation and less to troubleshoot should problems show up during the install. Vista has been plagued with problems with hardware since it's release. While it's certainly better after the service packs, Vista still has problems with some hardware. Windows 7, on the other hand, nearly always installs flawlessly so long as you have decent hardware.

Windows 7 is worth the wait... :)

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks! That works for me. I'll just finish assembling the parts, install Ubuntu on it just to get it up and running and to make sure everything works, then get Win7 and format.