Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pro Advice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
As for imaging programs, there are also good free ones:

- Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp (highly recommended)
- DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.o...veimage-xml.htm
- SelfImage: http://www.excelcia....N...icle&sid=21
- Paragon Drive Backup: http://www.paragon-s...ome/db-express/

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Gah! [bleep]. Everything was going fine, was almost done with setup... Stop error! :)

Got the error code, though:x08E

Followed by oxC0000005, 0x8054A10F, 0xF76264A0, 0x00000000

There was no specific information about what caused it. Just the usual "If this is the first time you've seen this..." etc.

Am going to let the machine rest a few minutes before I start it up again and check the BSOD thread for this error.

*sigh* I've never run into this on a clean install before. Any idea what's causing it? Suggestions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In my opinion, your hard drive is busted.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Found the code... error says it's an incompatible RAM issue.

Upgraded my RAM months ago from Crucial. strangely enough, some of the bizarre operation started then, I think, but I never thought it was related to the new memory. So strange. Makes sense, though - if it's incompatible with XP and setup (which this error specifies and is exactly where the stop error happened) then it would likely interfere badly with an attempt to restore to a restore point, and very probably with windows update when setting up the updates installed after reboot.

I have the original memory that came with the system. Question now is, do I replace it now, or do I get it through setup and replace it after?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you suspect RAM, replace it now, and try setup again.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Kill the setup, change the ram, reformat the drive and start over. Having a bad install is the worst thing to begin with.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
OK, Ram is changed out, and am re-partitioning and reformatting.

Darn, that took a long time. Looks like a late night... :)

Thanks so much for the prompt, to start over though - you're right, and I probably wouldn't have.

Here goes... :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok... it's been 53 minutes since you last posted. Can we take this as everything is going smoothly!? :)

EDITED... or did you fall asleep? :)

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I hate to jinx myself (as so often seems to happen) :) But so far so good. 89% formatted.

Crossing all my fingers and some toes that setup runs smoothly once the files are installed.

Can you tell I really badly don't want it to be a dead HD? LOL

The whole RAM thing seems to make a lot of sense in retrospect, though. Never had trouble with Crucial RAM before. Suppose it was bound to happen one day.

[Edit] :) Not yet. Was reading other posts.

Edited by n3ko, 11 September 2009 - 10:06 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're still formatting!??? :)

What kind of drive is this? Make, model.

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I was way off earlier. Was thinking of my desktop.

It's a Hitachi. Didn't write down the model when I checked and can't check now. =D I'll let you know when I can get into windows.

It's 160 gb, though, and I never use the "fast" format option. This was actually pretty good time compared to with the Crucial RAM. Am setting up my user settings now.

New Question for you actually: I've never bothered to set a separate Administrator Account with a password - many reasons. A friend was telling me recently that I really should. Such a pain in the butt though, and am not convinced there would really be that much added security to justify. Haven't had an infection in over a year - I keep a lot of security on my system. What do you think, should I do it?

Edited by n3ko, 11 September 2009 - 10:31 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I was just wondering what kind of drive because if you use a manufacture's hard drive utility, formatting takes about 15 seconds on your 160gb drive.

The Admin account should be password protected as far as I'm concerned. It's really up to you. I'm a security nut too, so all my computers are locked down.

However, I use common passwords like a number on both ends, and the initials of two songs in the middle with one song title caps and the other lower case... like this... Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Best of My Love... 4gybrBOML1. Kinda cheesy, but I don't forget it! I change it every so often, so this kind of string is easy to remember. It's not meant to stop a thief or a snoop, but just to be a nuisance to them.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hmm, that sounds like a pretty good compromise. I'll add a password to mine too, then. Just that little bit more annoyance on top of everything else may make all but the most determined get bored. :)

Huzzah, btw! Completely successful install with no hitches or problems. I am now in Windows and all is running smoothly. The relief is unreal. Thanks so much for all your help so far makai - both you and Broni! After I finish with drivers and updates, I'm going to try the Hitachi drive diagnostic again. I wonder if it was the RAM getting in the way of that too. Regardless, I want to be sure the HD is fine.

That memory is going right back to Crucial on Monday.

The HD is a Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00. At least, that's what the Device Manager says.

Hmmm, Manufacturer's Hard Drive Utility? This isn't OEM, it's a retail copy of XP Pro. My system came with Vista, but I can't use that for work - everything there, including the VPN client, is all XP. And I like XP better - old fashioned I guess.

I was using the actual XP disk to re-partition, re-format and clean install. Don't really know if that's the same thing you're talking about or not, but maybe that will shed some light on it. That, and without me installing all my mobo & device drivers by hand, a lot of functionality is not available.

Man... Looking at the device manager is just sad. I think I may need to call it a night and tackle the drivers tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've had to do this on this machine...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Congratulations! Yah, Broni nailed it in the beginning with the memtest recommendation. Kudo's to Broni!

Just a note... the Chipset driver goes in first before any other driver. After that, you can install any driver in any order.

Keep us updated on your finished install. Gotta make sure you get through it all! Don't forget about Acronis! Good luck!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very nice :)