Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pro Advice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Likewise Broni! :)

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Quick question before I unplug for the ... morning. :)

I was also told way back when on the HP forums that the HD Audio has to be installed after the chipset, before the Connexant drivers or anything else. Chipset, then HD Audio. Is this your experience?

Thanks so much, again! I'll definitely keep you updated - and definitely going to do that image! =D

Have a great night!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Actually, after the Chipset, any driver can go in. However, whenever I set up, the Chipset goes first, then the Video, then the Audio. No particular reason for this order, it's just how I've done it for years.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi!

Just started about 15 minutes ago with the drivers. Chipset first, then Video Graphics, then UAA HD Audio Bus Controller - this is what the HP Gurus say must be done for HP laptop rebuilds.

Anyway, When I installed the Graphics, I had to extract to SW Setup first, but there was no SW Setup folder at the time. So, I created one. The drivers after extracted to SW Setup too, and I thought "Awesome, it found the folder on it's own".

Nope. It created a second SW Setup. *sigh*

Question is, can I just move the graphics folder from the first SW Setup to the second, or does the System 32 DLL point to that specific location and this will make problems if I do?

I can uninstall the driver, move it, then re-install, but I's much rather go the path of least resistance - particularly as I have to leave for a wedding in about an hour and would love to have this almost completely finished before I go.

Otherwise, everything is going smoothly. :)
Thanks so much! :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Normally, drivers are extracted to folders first so the installation can then be run from there. The driver doesn't depend on the extraction folder for anything but holding installation files. You should be able to move the SW folder where ever you want. Try it, then restart your machine, you'll see that moving it doesn't matter.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Awesome! That's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure - there's an awful lot of data in that file, so I wanted to be sure before I messed something up. =D

Thanks so much. Worked beautifully! :)

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Apologies for the double post again, new question:

There's an HP Wireless assistant, Broadcom Wireless Utility and Broadcom WLAN Network Driver.

I think the WLAN Driver goes in first, but I'm really wondering if I should bother with the HP Wireless Assistant at all.

I've read they can conflict, though I've never had a problem myself. Also, the HP one is basically the same connection device (in memory) as the Broadcom. I only ever used the Broadcom since that's what my wireless card is. The HP one was always disabled.

But, I'm just not sure if I should install the HP Assistant anyway.. That's usually the name of the popup telling me when the wireless switch is turned on and off, as well.

What do you think?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This part of "customization" is up to you. I also don't like to install unnecessary stuff, but then some of it is actually helpful. Even if you install it, you can always either kill the service or stop it from starting up with msconfig. With that said, I can't make the call for you on this kind of stuff.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Yeah, I'm still not sure. I guess I can always load it later if I need it. :)

BTW, just finished all but one of my drivers - need .net framework that I don't have yet to install that one. Yay! Posted Image

Installing my Firewall and heading on to ms update. Once I'm done there, I'll run that disk diagnostic, just to be thorough.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Good morning. :)

OK, so am trying the disk diagnostic again, but I'm having exactly the same problem. It's frozen on "Analyzing Mechanics". :)

It may be that somehow my burn of the diagnostic program just didn't work, but I'm out of blank CDs so will have to wait until stores are open if that's the case.

Meanwhile, I've founf no real troubleshooting on this program... The processor and HD are definitely working on something, but there's just no progress at all. Any idea what this may be? I just know I'm going to obsess about it all night and not sleep well.

All the drivers and updates went clean and smooth too. No problems at all since I switched back my RAM. Are there any other disk diagnostics I could try? I know those would have to wait too, but it's just a though for planning ahead...

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
At what point of the install are you? Have you installed all your applications... Office, whatever else? The reason I ask is that perhaps you should make a full acronis image right now. As you can imagine it took you some time to get where your presently are, so if for some reason the hard drive is bad, and it crashes, then you have to start all over again. I recommend you make an image now. What is the used space on your C drive?

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Yikes, good point...

I've finished ms updates, and am installing my various security and scanners. Still need to install Java & Firefox w/ its add-ons. Only then will I get to peripheral programs. Those will be, VPN Client, Cisco clean access agent, Photoshop, Premiere, Nero and AMV App. Office will have to wait until Tuesday because I use my company's copy on their license, so IT will have to install it for me. I was thinking of DLing Open Office in the meantime so I can access some of my docs and spreadsheets. Oh, and I need to install my printer/scanner & graphics tablet.

I also haven't customized or optimized anything yet. I need to go into msconfig and stop some things from running at startup, but I like to wait until a lot of the stuff I install are set up first - get them in one go. Also have to restore the important files I have backed-up, and set my wall-paper. Nothing uglier than this green windows landscape.

Used space is 10.4 gb. Strange thing is, the drive is 160 gb, and while I know that partitioning and formating + the boot sector take up some of that, it should be relatively small, right? a single click on C: shows in the details on the left of the window: Free Space 138 gb, Total Size 149 gb.

But, if I go to Properties in C: it says Capacity 160,031,014,912 bytes or 149 gb (that doesn't seem right - isn't that many bytes closer to 160 gb?) Used Space 10.4 gb, Free Space 138 gb.

Before my system tanked, I generally kept between 90 & 70 gb free at all times, cleaning and backing up regularly.

Yikes, my anti-virus just popped up! Program Files\ActivationManager\ActivationManager.dll & Program Files\ADSTechnology\ADSTechnology.dll.

What in the name of sam hill? Removing now, but darn, that was quick! X|
Also had a ton of blocked entry attempts by my firewall in the last hour or so.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Found and exe and uninstalled it then cleaned with hijack this. All gone. :)
Don't know where that program came from, but everything I looked up on it looked bad. I know I didn't install it.

Anyway, it's 2:30 AM here. Must get some sleep. I'll buy some disks in the morning and re-dl that diagnostic and re-burn it.

Oh - for the image, will I need a DVD or will a CD work fine? And if DVD should it be + or - R? I don't burn data to DVDs much. =D But I'm guessing an image probably needs some space?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Used space is 10.4 gb

That seems quite large for a fresh install. It may be you have a lot of trash built up in Temp folders due to installations. Download ATFcleaner or TFC to clean out temp files. Note TFC will reboot your machine. Also, the System Volume foldeer (System Restore) may be quite large, due to restore points created during installations. My machine full up with all apps is only 6gb (I just dumped about 1.9gb of Restore points from the Sytem Volume folder).

The drive size is correct... it should show about 149gbs. Windows calculates 1gb as ~1.073, so 160/1.073=149gb.

Yikes, my anti-virus just popped up! Program Files\ActivationManager\ActivationManager.dll & Program Files\ADSTechnology\ADSTechnology.dll.

What the heck is this??? A virus already? You're kidding right!?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Before you burn the image, I would try to reduce the size of C drive. Read my prior post. For the System Volume folder, just turn off System Restore, and then turn it back on. This action will dump the System Volume folder contents. Uhhh, don't do this unless you know your computer is running fine as you'll delete the System Restore points.

I would also create the image before running the drive diagnostics. I really don't think your drive is bad and the ram was really the main cause of your problems. However, it might not be a bad idea to run the drive diagnostic anyway. Also, if you want a neat graphic program for looking at the drive SMART data, download the free verion of THIS program. It's neat, but take the data it gives you with a grain of salt.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to defrag C drive before you created the image.

As for DVDs... -R has always been more compatible than +R, although lately, drives are getting better so they read both quite well.