Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pro Advice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Cool! I didn't realise that pop-up would happen every time, thanks for the tip. :)

One of the first things i do on my own systems is to mark all folders and files viewable. I did re-set the SVI folder though. Don't want that one accessible at all, just to be safe from myself. LOL

Thanks for the point to hibernate. I don't think I ever looked through those settings all the way.

Have most of the programs I can think of that I need installed - though I'm sure I'll think of a few I missed as time goes along. Now comes the fun of msconfig and disabling startup programs. I don't suppose you know any apps that could help to identify what is necessary for startup and what isn't?

I try and keep programs from installing a start menu folder, but some just don't seem to give you the option. And some, such as Adaware lately, are directed not to, but then I find them there in systray at startup anyway. grrr.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I can help you determine what's not needed. Attach a HJT scan log to your next post. Just attach it, DON'T paste it into your post.

As for Services, open it up via Control Panel>AdminTools>Services... In the Services window, click on "Name" so the listing is in alphabetical order A-Z, then click on "Status" so all the Services that are "started" show up at the top of the screen. You might need to adjust the columns so I can read the Service names. Post a screen shot.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Have my lappy with me today in the hopes that IS can install Office today. If I can get it during lunch, will post - otherwise tonight.

Curious - wouldn't a screen cap of the msconfig startup be better than HjT? And thanks for the help - I really hate looking up every single running exe file. LOL Time consuming. I don't do it often enough to differentiate the important files from the non on sight. :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
HJT shows more than msconfig, so it's much better/easier to analyze.

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Thanks so much for the reccomendation! That's a program that's been mentioned to me before too. I don't have $50 to spend on software at the moment, though.

You said your drive might be Seagate.
Google has 1,150,000 results for "Seagate Acronis"
Top result is
"http://www.downloads...mage-for-free/"

Alan

Edited by Alan_B, 15 September 2009 - 02:32 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Thanks so much for the reccomendation! That's a program that's been mentioned to me before too. I don't have $50 to spend on software at the moment, though.

You said your drive might be Seagate.
Google has 1,150,000 results for "Seagate Acronis"
Top result is

Alan

The issue was already addressed in post #11 & 12.

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Your response at #11 was valid, and would create an image for future use.

BUT to use it in the future would probably involve buying Acronis.

I knew that it was (and maybe is) possible to get Acronis free for ever with a Seagate drive, and thought it would be a valid long term solution.

Regards
Alan.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
My apologies... I should have checked your link. I thought you simply missed the posting covering Acronis. Yes, the Acronis at the Seagate website is free and while being version 11, it is limited, but not so much that it's unusable. The OP could go with this.

I just recently mentioned this Seagate version of Acronis in another thread, and working so many, I thought it was already discussed in this one.

Thanks!

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

You said your drive might be Seagate...

Thanks Alan, but I'm guessing the reason makai didn't mention it wasn't that he/she forgot, but because I mentioned later that I was having a blonde moment and my laptop's drive is actually a Hitachi.

However, I do have a seagate drive in another computer - but it's pretty old and only used as a secondary one now. I may buy another sometime soon though, so I'll keep it in mind. :)

HJT shows more than msconfig, so it's much better/easier to analyze.

Good point. :)
Here it is.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

<snip>...makai didn't mention it wasn't that he/she forgot...<snip>

He's a he! :)

Good point. :)
Here it is.

Where? :)

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

<snip>...makai didn't mention it wasn't that he/she forgot...<snip>

He's a he! :)

:) Sorry!

Where? :)

Darn! I know it said it uploaded!
:)
Trying again...
:)

"Error Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file"

... Shall I PM it to you?

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Oh duh! Epic fail. :)

I didn't change the file extension. Excuse me while I go bang my head into the nearest wall. :)

Attached now.

Attached Files

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

My apologies... I should have checked your link. I thought you simply missed the posting covering Acronis. Yes, the Acronis at the Seagate website is free and while being version 11, it is limited, but not so much that it's unusable. The OP could go with this.

I just recently mentioned this Seagate version of Acronis in another thread, and working so many, I thought it was already discussed in this one.

Thanks!

Makai

o.k. no offence taken.

I am using Acronis v11 myself and am quite happy with it.
I knew that the Seagate offer was for an obsolete version of Acronis.
I just had not realised how obsolete my installed version had become ! !

Regards
Alan

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Thanks!

Makai

o.k. no offence taken.

I am using Acronis v11 myself and am quite happy with it.
I knew that the Seagate offer was for an obsolete version of Acronis.
I just had not realised how obsolete my installed version had become ! !

Regards
Alan

No problems. By the way, I own both Acronis 10 and Acronis 2009. Even though I have a later version, I still use version 10 exclusively for creating images. Acronis 2009 is like running Vista! It's cluttered and not straightfoward as the earlier versions. Why do software vendors believe that "pretty" equates to usability??? In any case, I wasted a bit of money on Acronis 2009, but the reason I did is because version 10 has problems with SATA drives if you try to recover using a version 10 boot CD. So... I just boot with Acronis 2009, and use images created by version 10. Works great!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Oh duh! Epic fail. :)

I didn't change the file extension. Excuse me while I go bang my head into the nearest wall. :)

Attached now.

You don't seem to have too much junk running... well, maybe just a little, but it's not bad. I've attached a document for you to go over.

By the way, you still have to take a screen shot of Services. See post #77.