Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Msconfig destroyed my computer meltdown danger

• Please log in to reply

killedmypc222

killedmypc222

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Short story: I went into msconfig and attempted to remove some startup entries like ituneshelper and two other skyperecorder programs (I had either uninstalled them or removed them). When I restarted my PC I noticed my task bar was now grey instead of blue and my network icon and wireless icon on the bottom right hand side of the screen were missing. I readded some of those three things I had removed and eventually added all back in, but my network stuff would not return. My device manager is empty, my sound card does not work, the help and support button will not work. Safe mode didn't help me accomplish anything new. I tinkered with the msconfig stuff. I even tried to do a system restore, but it won't let me restore but to 30 minutes after all the trouble started. I guess all my programs and software still work. I just can't use any of my major devices from what I can tell. I can't connect to the internet or listen to sounds.

I have had a complete computer melt down. I will make sure I have everything backed up in 30 minutes. After that do you have any suggestions?

It seems like such a freak thing, all I can think to do is completely wipe the computer and reinstall windows xp and every one of all of my programs.

Any suggestions or am I just screwed?

Thank for any feedback.

Advertisements

Endless_Time

Endless_Time

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok what all did u tinker with n msconfig cause as some computer techs will tell u. u should not mess with msconfig unless u know wat u r doing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but it won't let me restore but to 30 minutes after all the trouble started.

Are you saying there are no other restore points available?

inapaler

inapaler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
try going to safe mode then enable one by one... start with the items your think is much important then observe.

do it until you're ok.

I also suggest using ccleaner in replacement of msconfig. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Safe mode didn't help me accomplish anything new. I tinkered with the msconfig stuff. I even tried to do a system restore, but it won't let me restore but to 30 minutes after all the trouble started

Already tried safe mode and no help.

We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have not supplied any computer specs at all
Make and model
HD total and free space
Memory total

Do you have your original Microsoft XP OS disk?
If this is a name brand system you probably did not get one
Without knowing what you deleted or uninstalled we will have to do this one step at a time to recover drivers and resolve issues.

killedmypc222

killedmypc222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replies. I am nearly convinced that it is game over for me and this project. Do any of you recommend me taking my PC in to Best Buy so they can fix it and/or reinstall Windows XP for me? Or should I call HP? I really think this is a freak thing. But here is some more info on my machine.

I have Windows XP
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Hewlet Packard
HP Pavillion
960 MB of Ram

My hard drive is something like 70 Gigabytes of which 80% is free. I do email and word processing with my pc. That's about it.

When I started messing with msconfig I just unchecked like three boxes in the startup panel. Ituneshelper.exe and two things related to skyperecorder and mxskyperecorder. They are programs I installed 12 months ago, uninstalled, but didn't completely remove themselves. I have continued to get stupid 'buy me messages' from one of the programs every time I started up the PC. I was happy to remove them. When I restarted the computer, the silly pop up message 'buy me' was gone. But my network and wireless icon on the bottom right were gone as well, and maybe other icons as well. I went back into msconfig and took out a few other things to see what would happen. Then I decided to re add stuff to try to get my internet and network stuff back. Even though I added everything back in, the internet icons never came back. The more I looked the more I realized my CD/DVD drive, sound card, printer, usb, internet etc were all no longer accessible. Once I saw that I seemed to be seriously screwed with the msconfig thing, I tried the restore thing, that didn't work, so I just tried turning everything on and off at msconfig. Big mistake I guess. I tried safe mode and that didn't help either.

I can still use Itunes to burn mp3's to my cd's, but I can't copy anything to my cd drive just using Windows. Itunes is the only thing that allows me to put any content (mp3's) onto the cds. I can also see what is on the cd's I insert, but I can't just write to the cd or dvd. I've tried both. My device manager is completely empty. It is just psycho. I couldn't believe it would just self destruct like that.

Advice?

Geek squad? HP? Buy a new XP Cd and reinstall? How much does an XP Cd cost? Do I have to order it from HP? Will I be able to do it myself? The computer seems to be having problems with the cd drive.

I also don't have an XP CD with my computer. Ahhhhhh. Any guidance is appreciated. I will probably just take it to Geek Squad. I don't think I am able to deal with this very well. It is so far more complicated than I ever imagined.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all have you tried to do a system restore to back before all this started?

I realize system won;t boot but try this alternative way to do it.

If you have Windows XP CD...

1. Boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

Posted Image

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

Posted Image

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

If you don't have Windows CD...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Follow steps 3 - 14.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

MSconfigBitMe2

MSconfigBitMe2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Does anyone know how this problem was resolved?
I have a different problem, but also maybe related to messing with msconfig, but maybe not.
http://www.geekstogo...ig-t256373.html
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see you are getting assistance from The Skeptic who is a very good tech.
I'm sure he will get you corrected and if he runs into a snag he will ask for assistance form other Techs. Be patient and everything will work out.