Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD is not being recognised

• Please log in to reply

Sanjiv

Sanjiv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have a external HDD which has suddenly stopped functioning. It is not being recognised, when I connect it to my laptop at work or at home.

Can someone help me with -
a) troubleshooting the problem and
b) suggest ways to recover the data, if the HDD is beyond repair..

Thanks in advance..

Sanjiv

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
A failed hard drive is very difficult to diagnose, especially if it can't even be seen by one or more computers. Since it's an external, and it's in an enclosure, it is possible that the enclosure is faulty, and not the hard drive itself. If this is the case, then you would need to borrow, or purchase another enclosure just to test it. If you know anyone who has a similar enclosure, perhaps they can assist you. The USB cable, or whatever type of interface cable it has, could also be faulty. Have you tried using a different cable?

Do you happen to know what model number/manufacture makes the drive? I'll assist you in finding what kind of drive may be in the enclosure, whether PATA or SATA.

As far as data recovery if the drive has actually failed, there are professional companies that do this kind of work. They are expensive, probably in the $100 -$400 range.