Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting problem with Vista

• Please log in to reply

zigi888

zigi888

• Pip
  • 6 posts
At first I want to say HI to everybody, this is my first topic in your forum and I hope I will help in here.
My problem is that I bought recently a new 320 Gb Maxtor hard disk and I add it to my old 80 Gb hard, as soon as connected the new hard I installed on him windows Vista and everything went very well until I decided to disconnect the old one and use it as a backup hard for impotent data only, but when I did this the PC failed to boot.. I tried everything but nothing helps except reconnecting the old hard.

Advertisements

lazymatt

lazymatt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey zigi888, welcome to GeeksToGo.

Was the 80 gb drive your C drive? If so this is the problem as this drive will contain the data needed to boot into vista.

lazymatt

zigi888

zigi888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes he was my C drive, are there any solution or I need to reinstall windows to fix this ?

lazymatt

lazymatt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Im not quite sure if a reinstall would be needed. If you wanted to use only the new drive in the PC then personally i would leave the 320 Gb drive in the pc, install vista on this, although this will mean youll have to install all the drivers required for your system again on this drive. Sorry i cant be much more help than this.

lazymatt

zigi888

zigi888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you very much lazymatt specially for answering very fast , I will wait till the current system gets old and then I will install a new fresh copy of Vista like u said.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are these drives IDE or SATA?

zigi888

zigi888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
SATA

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you go in and set the bios to boot to the drive?
In some bios the system has to be told which drive to boot to.
Also did you change the location where the new drive is plugged in to the location where the old drive was connected?
If you didn't the system may be looking for the old drive and it's not there anymore

zigi888

zigi888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I Did set the bios to boot from the new drive, but I didn't connect it to the same cable because the old one was IDE not SATA.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then is the bios seeing the new hd as the primary boot device?

zigi888

zigi888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes I did that and didn't help.