Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp welcome screen freeze

• Please log in to reply

Noitora

Noitora

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello, I recently got the Welcome freeze at the log on and cant seem to go through my desktop. I can go to Safe Mode fine , but I seem to e stuck here, whats going on? I have removed all the start ups, and its happening still. I have went to the repair utility using the XP disk and went to cmd and tried chkdsk but to no avail.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Have you tried using System Restore?

Boot to Safe Mode, Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> System Restore. Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time". In the calendar, choose a "bolded" date prior to when you started having problems, then click Next/OK though the following screens to start the system restore process. The computer will reboot as it runs and hopefully when it comes back, you'll be able to log in as usual.

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I actually tried system restore and to no avail, it still does the same thing.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did chkdsk run at all from the recovery console?

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
When i went to the recovery consoloe using the repair utility from the xp disk i did chkdsk /r

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I guess I have to rephrase my question... When you ran chkdsk /r, did it run and complete? Or, did it hang and not run through the chkdsk?

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
It ran completely

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, if you can't get to windows in Normal mode, and you can't successfully recover via System Restore, you may need to attempt a Windows Repair... just follow the directions posted HERE. You'll need to have your XP disc available.

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hmm sadly now this is getting aggrivating, the disck that i ahve is not offering me the option to repair,instead its just saying to delete the partion or create on over it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, hows about a little more information....

What kind of machine is this. Is this an OEM (dell,hp,etc)? Is the WinXP disc you have Home, Pro, or is it a recovery OEM disc?

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Alright after much fiustration,I went into system restre and restored 2 months behind and now its fine, thank you for your time.