Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe mode, now what? (how many ways can you spell 'newb')

• Please log in to reply

Sewicked

Sewicked

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Details: months old Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 running Vista

Problem 1) computer wouldn't finish logging off after downloading update.
solution1) finally just turned it off
Problem 2) got stuck at welcome screen; nothing worked -not ctrl+alt+del; not esc, not Fkeys, nothing. Even turning off & turning back on just put me back at the same screen.
Solution 2) [baka] left off for 30 minutes & restarted
Problem 3) Great, I'm in safe mode. How do I get out of it? :)

And yes, I'm using a different computer to ask.

Edited by Sewicked, 11 September 2009 - 01:19 PM.

Advertisements

Sewicked

Sewicked

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Restarted it, in normal mode. Was checking a disk. Then I got a "Please wait..." which lasted until the powersave mode turned off the screen, about 10-15 minutes later. Turned it back on again & it's the same screen without the words; it just says 'Windows Vista Home Edition' at the bottom.

I'm turning it off for half an hour again.
[edit to add]
I used different search terms & found someone whose problem sounded like mine (further on, it wasn't but it started the same). I followed this advice "type sfc /scannow then press enter"
Result: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I have the prompt now but I'm not certain what to do next. I'll go ahead & search & see if I see anything else similar elsewhere on the forums.

edited again to add
I didn't do anything over the weekend, but on a whim I booted it up Sunday night. It came up just fine. :) So, it works again.

Edited by Sewicked, 15 September 2009 - 06:55 AM.