Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wirless range extenders - Using an extra router

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Well my problem is, i live in a big old house lots of lovely thick stone walls and 3 floors. Trying to get a wireless signal in most places is a nightmare!

Currently i have a netgear modem and wireless router situated in the center of the house and a 200mbs powerline networking adapter (Which works great by the way!) supplying internet to the office the other end of the house with a desktop computer in it. Thats all working fine and dandy luckily!

I also purchased the powerline wireless range extenders (Complete and utter rubbish, i wouldn't recommend to anyone!) They were so temperamental and unreliable that i have completely given up on them - i must say when they worked they weren't perfect but they helped.

My question is, if i was to buy another wireless router, plug it in to the other end of the powerline network adapter in the office, turn NAT on the new router off, would this act as a range extender to some extent?

Thanks for any replies, and any other suggestions to help solve my problem will be greatly appreciated!

Josh

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Anyone any idea's on this?
:/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'd want to just go ahead and get a wireless access point instead of getting a router and trying to configure it as an access point....a wireless access point is basically a wireless switch so you don't have to worry about all of the routing commotion that would cause issues if you just used two routers

if you can't find a straight up wireless AP (i doubt you'll have issues if you shop around...they're pretty standard) make sure you get a router that has an AP or Bridge mode