Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restart loop before POST

• Please log in to reply

gibarian

gibarian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
At first, the monitor to my desktop (Medion Composer 5100) stopped working. I used a laptop to do net research, found that it's POST beep code was indeed signaling me that a video card error had occurred. Other than the card failing, everything else seemed normal, as I was still able to log in blindly once with my mouse and shut down with hot keys. I opened it up and ostensibly, nothing was wrong with the card, I removed it, dusted it and returned it correctly. I figured I'd dust the processor fan off as well, since I was in the neighborhood.

The top two fan screws (odd looking, long plastic dowels that turn about 90 degrees to lock) were actually loose, so I unfastened the bottom ones, removed the whole thing save for detaching the power line and dusted it. It took about a half hour to reposition it because of the top two never feeling secure but I figured it was on about that good before I had opened it to begin with.

Upon starting it up, the POST was the same, as I figured, but after what I assume to be the BIOS load screen right before the XP loading screen, the computer automatically restarted itself and continued into a restarting loop before it could POST every time... and could only be stopped by unplugging it.

I opened her back up in dismay and found the fan hanging off, out of place. I did more research and found that the metal square in the middle of the fan was once attached using some kind of thermal paste, as I can see the residue from the original.

Can anyone tell me if this start up problem is indicative of the motherboard understanding that the fan is not applied correctly and is just safeguarding itself, or is there a problem other than this that I might have created by opening it up? I would like to know before replacing the video card and getting some thermal paste if my motherboard has some other severe problem that needs to be remedied another way.

My computer is about five years old, has never had any problem like this before and has all it's original parts (which makes sense as to why the video card would simply have gone bad). I don't tax it very much with gaming anymore and only use it for data storage and the internet. Thanks to anyone who can spare even a bit of knowledge on this specific predicament.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello gibarian...

While there is no way for us to know if that is all that is wrong, inadequate cooling to the CPU will certainly cause the symptoms you describe. An overheating video card can cause similar issues.

wannabe1