Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't boot with Asus P5QL-EM motherboard

• Please log in to reply

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have just bought some new kit. Intel Quad cpu, P5QL-EM motherboard, Fatality DDR2 memory. I've put my IDE drive in and it won't boot. Safe mode reports getting to gagp30kx and then resets.
I've put the drive back in the old machine and it's still okay so it's something to do with the new kit.
Someone said it might be the heatsink not sitting properly on the CPU. Could that be it?
Any suggestions VERY gratefully received.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows Repair:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

One cannot put a hard drive from another system into a completely different system and expect the Windows just to work. It will blue-screen and reset at you.

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Neil.

You're right. The link you supplied had great instructions for overcoming the problem by using the repair feature of XP. Unfortunately I bought an OEM version of the OS (trying to save a few quid) and now it's biting me in the arse by not allowing me to move to another motherboard/cpu. I don't think there is a way around that :)

Oh well. This might be the 'push' I need to buy Windows 7!

Thanks for your help.

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Still having problems with the new kit. I've tried setting up Windows from various different CD's (XP pro, XP Home and 2000). They all failed. Most of the time they couldn't find a whole load of files required.

I even tried Knoppix! I've got a Knoppix CD that boots fine on another PC when I tried it on this kit it couldn't find the Knoppix file system.

I think it might actually be a hardware problem.

I reckon it's one of these.
* I haven't put the cpu fan properly onto the cpu
* incompatible memory
* Power supply

Are any of those likely to cause the sort of errors I'm getting?

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Yep. Could be any of these, and a couple of other possibilities come to mind.

You should probably go to the System Building and Upgrading board. Post your topic with the exact specs of the new hardware and the exact issue you're having. Make the title your Mobo model.

The staff are fantastic. They'll sort it out. :)

Edited by n3ko, 16 September 2009 - 06:43 PM.

StevieDC

StevieDC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cheers N3ko,
I'll do that.