Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstall windows xp?

• Please log in to reply

mzlead

mzlead

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm missing my compressed files option from disk clean up, I search windows for the compressed files and they aren't there, however I look in the registry and they are there, but not in the volume cache file. I believe the loss of these files is causing my office 2003 not to start, so I will reinstall office 2003 and I wonder do I need to renistall windows xp again? I have windows xp professional. The files in the registry have been corrupted due to me erasing temporary files from a program I downloaded. I used system restore, that didn't bring back these files. Can someone tell me should I reinstall the operating system

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

First off, Office 2003 has a repair utility. Open any office document, go to Help, then click on Detect and Repair and Office will check itself and repair any anomalies. It may save you from reinstalling Office.

Now getting to the rest of the machine. Apparently, you have several issues. I'm not sure where to start with them as you seem to have rolled them all into one problem. System restore will not bring back deleted temporary files. So any attempt you make won't get these files back. The only thing System Restore may do is restore the pointers in the registry for these files, whether they exist or not. On the other hand, System Restore may not even do this much.

Why do you believe the registry is corrupt? Is this because you can't get the temp files back?

As for the missing Compressed files entry in Disk Cleanup. This may be repaired by going to Start>run and typing chkdsk /r, then click on OK. Note the space preceding the forward slash. Once you hit OK, Windows will launch a window telling you it can't run chkdsk right away, and ask if you want to run it on the next startup... just confirm by typing in "Y" or yes, then restart your computer. Chkdsk will run after the machine restarts. It may take a while to run chkdsk, so try to be patient and don't interrupt it.

If chkdsk doesn't fix the problem with Disk Cleanup, then we may have to try other things. Since you ask if you should reinstall the OS, can I assume you have your valid XP install disc? We might need it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Makai this topic HERE is where I assisted in getting rid of temp files.

This topic HERE is where Wannabe1 attempted to help with Office issue.

Not sure what temp files could have been deleted to cause Office issue but I don't think it is the cause of the problem.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ron,
The OP is not trying to "get rid" of temp files but rather "somehow get them back" via System restore. Or perhaps its the compressed files the OP is trying to get back. The post is confusing because it runs on into one problem after another. As for Office, the Detect and Repair should work fine, but if not, a reinstall is just as quick.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree and the temp files I refer to was the original post I started with and helped get rid of.
The problem as I understand it from the beginning was the use of a registry cleaner that deleted or erased the compressed files.
I supplied the links for you so you could seen what was already done.
Ain't I just a good little helper? :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Awesome Ron, simply awesome!!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :)