Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restore Vista backup using XP NT backup possible ?

• Please log in to reply

Jamesmore

Jamesmore

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Looks like its my week for having to fix Laptops for people. My sister inlaw fried her motherboard in her Laptop, Lucky for her it was covered by HP support.

I boxed it up but saw that HP said to backup all your data in case they can't login to the machine.
As the laptop would not boot I took the drive out and put it in a caddy and then mounted the drive on my XP machine.
I used NT XP backup to create a bkf copy of the drive (I did not have time to do a real image backup)

The Laptop came back with a new motherboard and found they have reimaged the drive.

I found that you can download a copy of NT backup for Vista as the new backup for vista "Windows Backup and Restore Center" does not support BKF images.

The laptop has about 5 user accounts that I would like to restore as well as programs. I was thinking of removing the drive out of the laptop and then putting it in a caddy and then restoring the whole backup on to the top of the current standard vista build.

But if there is another way or better idea to restore all the user accounts and programs please let me know.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,175 posts

I was thinking of removing the drive out of the laptop and then putting it in a caddy and then restoring the whole backup on to the top of the current standard vista build.

I would do this.

Cheers
Peterm

Jamesmore

Jamesmore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Did not work :-( restored the backup and checked the log report all seemed to be ok.

Booted Vista and was still the same "NEW PC build"

Booted in to BartPe and then renamed windows folder and then restored, Booted back in to Vista all appears to be ok.

Looking at the second log file it appears lots of symbol links could not be restored not sure if that will be a problem or not.