Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help...can't remove Windows SP3 on XP Home

• Please log in to reply

gkdockery

gkdockery

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, a few months ago my Windows Media Player, Real Player and Windows Movie Maker quit playing my music files. I downloaded MediaMonkey and VLC player and they play fine on those 2 programs. I have been reading a lot about the SP3 service pack so I got rid of IE8 and the computer went back to IE7. I tried to get rid of the SP3 and it doesn't show up except for when I check My Computer Properties it lists SP3. I have tried to uninstall the service pack using the 3 ways posted on many sites but it never works. What can I do to get rid of this and/or is this service pack the reason for my other Music programs to not play my files. Please Help me...I am worn out trying to fix this. I am satisfied with the MediaMonkey but I really need an alternative to Windows Movie Maker that is free and easy to use if I can't get these programs to work. It is just the music files that won't play. I truly would appreciate any help you could give me.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
How old is this computer? Some installations of XP come with SP3 already on the disc, so there is no way to remove it, per se, via Add/Remove Programs. If you go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, does SP3 show up on the list?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depending on how Service Pack 3 came to be on the computer, it may not be possible to get shot of it.
If you used a disk that has SP3 "built in", you cannot remove it from the computer.

Movie Maker doesn't and never has played music files. Media Player issues are usually solved by upgrading to the latest one, current 11. RealPlayer is typically fixable by uninstalling and reinstalling.

gkdockery

gkdockery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I received the computer as a Christmas gift Dec. 06. It was new.
I am almost certain it had SP2 on it at that time. Also, I didn't make myself plain about Windows Movie Maker. When I add music files to the movie I'm making they won't play. The pictures do but not the music files. I have made movies on it before and both, pictures and background music would work. I didn't mean that this program was trying to be used as a music "player". Hope this helps with any ideas you may have to fix this computer. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
You may have some codecs missing.
Get this: http://www.codecguid...download_kl.htm

gkdockery

gkdockery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Also, I have deleted Windows Media Player 11 more than once and downloaded it again with the same result. My daughter downloaded it onto her computer and let me have to disk to install it and it was still no good. It always has the same error message. "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem while trying to play this file".

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I am almost certain it had SP2

OK... but you didn't answer my question about SP3 being in Add/Remove Programs.

gkdockery

gkdockery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry, It was in add and remove programs but it didn't have the option to delete like all of the other programs did. I decided to get rid of IE8 and go back to IE7 and after I did that SP3 was listed in the add and remove programs with the delete button. I clicked on it and it said that the file couldn't be found that it could have been deleted already. Then I checked my computer (right click, Properties...)and it says Service Pack 3

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, that doesn't help us. What I wanted to know is if at sometime you did intentionally install SP3.

In any case, it appears SP3 is damaged, and it's quite possible that during your attempt to remove it, (I have no idea what you did), it has damaged other files. I have to give it to you straight... Media Player problems are one of the worst to fix. Windows being the way it is, will sometimes not repair something simply because there are already the required files resident on the computer... even if the resident files are messed up. It's a pity actually!

There are several things we can try...

Go to Start>run... type in chkdsk /r, then click on OK. You'll get window stating chkdsk can't run right now, and there will be a prompt asking if you want chkdsk to run at next restart... just confirm "yes" (y), and the window will close. Restart your machine and after it restarts, chkdsk will run... don't cancel or interrupt it as it may take a while to complete.

Chkdsk may or may not fix anything, but we have to try it first. After you log in, try playing a music file with WMP. By the way, do you have your original XP installation CD? You may need it if there are more things to do.

gkdockery

gkdockery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok I will try that. As far as me intentionally downloading the SP3, I didn't really do that but I did have my automatic updates set to install all updates. I was ignorant and thought that was a good think. Also, I finally got the codecs files that Broni suggested and the set up is suggesting that I "uninstall other codec related packages before installing this package." I have no clue what to do. I need advice on this also.

Advertisements

gkdockery

gkdockery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
also, I don't have the installation cd. It came already installed and I didn't get a cd.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I don't use K-lite codec pack, so I don't know how to install it. I'll contact Broni to help you.

Try the chkdsk and let me know the results.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Just download K-Lite file and double click on it to begin installation.

gkdockery

gkdockery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I will try to K-lite. The scan disk didn't help. Still won't play music

gkdockery

gkdockery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Just download K-Lite file and double click on it to begin installation.

I downloaded the K-Lite file and ran it and EVERYTHING works perfectly!! The Windows Media Player and also the Windows Movie Maker.
I am so very thankful! Thanks everyone for all of the patience and good advice. Especially for your help Proni.
With love in Jesus Name!!!