Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 won't detect my wireless mouse and keyboard, it's really

• Please log in to reply

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hello guys.

I had a Trust wireless presenter mouse running quite happily on Windows 7. Then one day it stopped working, gutted.

to my dismay I couldn't get this to work at all. Grrrr, angry.

So I bought a new Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 kit, which is a keyboard and mouse both running wirelessly off a 2.4GHz (I think) receiver.

Unfortunatly I cannot get this to work. not at all.

I've tried the drivers off the CD, I've tried the drivers from the website, zippo. It's really weird.

There are NO written instructions, just a little 'quick start' guide which is a picture of a finger pushing a button to connect to the receiver. I've tried this too many times and nothing at all seems to happen. I've tried about 9 different sets of batteries too, so it's not the power that's an issue.

I am on Windows 7 RC 7100. The Microsoft website claims this keyboard is compatible with Windows 7.

I had a slight thought that perhaps some sort of driver went wrong, which would explain why the Trust presenter mouse stopped working and now this doesn't work either. Grrr the confusion!

What to do guys, what to do?

Advertisements

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Does the receiver have a light?
If it does, is it on or off?

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Yup, sorry I forgot to mention that. The receiver has 3 lights:

- Caps Lock
- Num Lock
- Power Indicator

I have discovered something new too. When I have my new wireless keyboard on the desk, I thought for ages it was connected to the receiver, but obviously not working correctly. For example, the Num Lock light was on. I thought this was from the wireless keyboard (however when I pressed Num Lock again on the keyboard, the indicator on the receiver didn't change). However I realised, the indicator was simply displaying the status of my old PS/2 keyboard which was plugged in at the side to let me still use my computer!

The receiver lights change when my wired old keyboard is plugged in. Which leads me to think that the keyboard and mouse are not even connected to the receiver.

When I unplug the PS/2 keyboard and sit the wireless on my desk, the receiver never even seems to pick it up.

I think this is no longer a software/driver etc. issue but rather why the receiver isn't picking up the keyboard.

Unless I'm wrong.

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
If you have wireless router try switching it off and then using them.

They may both be operating at 2.4Ghz which can cause conflicts.

To change your router's operating frequency, you can change its channel on the router home page.

Edited by Randomlygeneratedusername, 12 September 2009 - 02:26 PM.

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

If you have wireless router try switching it off and then using them.

They may both be operating at 2.4Ghz which can cause conflicts.

Whoo, thanks! I don't have a router (that's upstairs) but I have a dongle, and looking at the driver control panel it's on at 2.4GHz.

Except, unplugging the dongle, it still fails to operate. :@

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
If you installed the software that comes with the device, on the Wireless tab does it tell you you have no signal?

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
First try to be a minimum of 8 inches away from your receiver.

Try using the mouse while underneath the receiver or above.

Do you remember anything that emits long wavelength elctromagnetic radiation being introduced when your mouse stopped working?

Edited by Randomlygeneratedusername, 13 September 2009 - 04:31 AM.

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

If you installed the software that comes with the device, on the Wireless tab does it tell you you have no signal?

If you mean the dongle, it always just says I have full signal, except for when I unplug it and it obviously says none. If you mean the keyboard and mouse, again, it always says I have 'good' signal, even when there are no batteries in either device, or from a fresh boot up... meaning clearly that is just fixed until it recognises any device...

First try to be a minimum of 8 inches away from your receiver.

The receiver and keyboard are right next to each other.

Try using the mouse while underneath the receiver or above.

Has no effect, but thanks for the suggestion.

Do you remember anything that emits long wavelength elctromagnetic radiation being introduced when your mouse stopped working?

Yerwot?! :) I highly doubt it. The mouse and keyboard didn't work from the start, as in, from me unboxing them. They're just sat on a plain old desk. No Electromagnetic shizzle to stop them.

I'm very confused. Very confused indeed.

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I'm running out of ideas :)

Try to reinstall chipset and USB drivers

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Try to reinstall chipset and USB drivers

It's a brand new motherboard, had it about 2 weeks. Using latest drivers.

Tried connecting receiver to a USB 4-port hub (plugged in to power, but not connected to any computer). Still wouldn't pick up keyboard (I know this because it wouldn't respond to Caps-Lock or whatever).

Oooh dear.

Fllash

Fllash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
(oops, didnt mean to ressurect thread)

Edited by Fllash, 03 January 2010 - 08:07 AM.