Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router and Modem Comunication Problems

• Please log in to reply

Jim2013

Jim2013

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi.
I just updated my DSL service with my ISP to 10Mb/s. Previously i had a Speedtouch 516 that they provided and it worked with my Linksys router perfectly. When i upgraded, they sent me a new modem. I set up the new modem as they instructed me to. I have a Linksys WRT160N Version 1 with a firmware of 1.02.2(This is the latest) as my wireless router. I have a Windows 2000 PC hardwired into the router. I also have a Windows Vista SP1 PC connected via a Dell Wireless N Mini-card. If i run an Ethernet cable directly from my modem to my computer i get internet with no trouble. When i try to hook up my router, the internet light on the router lights up. The new modem is a Speedtouch 536 and all the lights on it are light like my ISP told me they should. But when i connect my PC to the router i get no internet on the PC. This occurs weather i am connected via wireless or i am hardwired. I tried different configurations and different cables. I don't know what to do next. Thank you for your help.
jma2013

Advertisements

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
See if this works,

On your Vista follow this tutorial, when you get to the TCP/IP settings put everything to automatic.
Link

Do the same for your 2000 machine.
Link

Jim2013

Jim2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Both PCs are set to automatically obtain those settings as per the tutorial and i still get no internet access when i am connected through the router but i am still good when i go through the speedtouch. I also cannot access the router setup page anymore by wireless or hardwire.
Thanks
jma2013

Edited by Jim2013, 12 September 2009 - 10:21 AM.

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Is the Windows 2000 PC able to receive internet?

Jim2013

Jim2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Only when hardwired to the modem. I can not access the internet through the router with wireless or Ethernet. I cannot access the setup page with either hard wire or wireless. Both pcs are set according to post number 2. Thanks for your help.
jma2013

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Have you tried disconnecting your modem and connecting only the Linksys?

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
If you want to use both, your going to have to bridge the connection I think.

Jim2013

Jim2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I still wouldnt be able acsess the internet because i would need the modem for my DSL. I tried disconnecting the router and then it works. Thanks
jma2013

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Is this because you need a particular MAC address?

Jim2013

Jim2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No, the modem takes the connection from a phone line in and goes to Ethernet. If i were to disconnect it, I would not have anything to plug the phone line into and i would have nothing to plug the Ethernet into.

Edited by Jim2013, 12 September 2009 - 12:26 PM.

Advertisements

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
It looks like the 516 is a router.

I can suggest this article: Link

Jim2013

Jim2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I dont know about the MAC address, why. The modem is brand new with factory settings besides what the phone company told me to do. Thanks
jma2013

Jim2013

Jim2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
If that is the case, why cant i access the linksys's setup page to make these changes? Thanks for the link
jma2013

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
What's the reason you cannot access the page?
Username/password?
Page error?

Jim2013

Jim2013

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It tells me "Page not found" when i try to go to 192.168.1.1. i also tried the other ip addresses that linksys uses, 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.0.1, and i got the same error.