Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I unpartition an external Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
My laptop had a major issue with the power jack and rather than spend lots of money to fix a cheap computer I decided to scrap it and pull the hard drive. I put the hard drive into an enclosure turning it into an external hard drive that connects via USB. I have pulled off all the stuff I want to save and put it safely on another drive.

Now to the issue...
The laptop came with a hard drive that was supposedly 80 gigs, for some reason the manufacturer turned it into two 33ish gig partitions eating up 15 or so gigs that I want.

So how can I unpartition my external hard drive?

Edited by anazopyreo, 12 September 2009 - 09:49 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
the harddrive is yours for the changing now, being from a laptop it will probably be in NTFS format where FAT32 is more universally read by other systems, so not only should you reformat it to one drive but also change the format, I use a gparted from a linux live CD for partitioning because its free in price and unfettered by license but windows probably has some alternative program that you can use

anazopyreo

anazopyreo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks, I found EASEUS partition Master. I'm running it now and it seems to be doing the trick.