Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

does not install the packrd bell diamond plus scanner

• Please log in to reply

aroweyen

aroweyen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
peripheral: packard bell diamond 2400 plus

i dont have the installation disc for my scanner so i download the driver, it only contains the basic driver w/o the software... so i installed it.. then went through but when i connected the usb scanner, still no scanners listed under scanners and camera..
so i went to device manager
the scanner is listed under other devices, scanner entry has a yellow question mark
so i tried updating it automatically to search the best driver in the internet --- does not work
i want to try updating it manually but i cant browse for any .inf file, coz the driver that i download only has .exe

please help me

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You probably need the USB Twain driver for the scanner. What kind of Scanner... manufacture and model number?

aroweyen

aroweyen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
its actually an old scanner that i bought... its a Packard Bell Diamond 2400 plus
whats a USB twain driver??

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The USB Twain driver is what handles the communication between the computer and the scanner every time you connect the scanner. Without it, the computer doesn't know the scanner exists. Almost all cameras/scanners require a Twain driver or something similar.

However, I just visited the PB website and the only driver I see is THIS one. Is this the same driver you installed?

aroweyen

aroweyen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
yeah thats the driver that i installed (is that the USB Twain driver for my scanner?)... but still it does not show that the scanner is installed

the installation screen says its finish
but when i check scanner and camera, there's nothing there

device manager still has that yellow question mark for usb scanner

what will i do now? i really need it to work on my computer T_T
is there any generic driver or any possible driver that can let my scanner work

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm... it seems the only thing I can think of is for you to attempt to start all over. Sometimes the "order" you do things will mess up Windows.

Ok, we're going to try something here. It'll involve several steps...

Go HERE and download USBDeview. Save the zip file to your desktop, create a new folder on the desktop, and unzip the files into the new folder. We'll use this later.

Now, do this...

Disconnect the scanner.
Uninstall the software, hopefully it's in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
Go into Device manager and delete the Scanner reference.
Restart your machine and check to make sure the scanner reference is gone in Device manager.

Now Open the USBDeview folder. Look for a green icon named USBDeview and double-click on it.
In the window that opens, look for a scanner reference and delete it by clicking on it once, then going up to the File and choosing "Uninstall Selected Devices". Confirm "Yes" at the prompt, then restart your machine.

Next... (and this may have already been the way you attempted installation)
Install the software
Connect the scanner, and turn it ON
If Windows launches the new hardware found window, then point it to the folder the scanner software was installed into, and see if it'll install the software (again) for you.

Let me know if you have any problems with doing any of this.

By the way, I don't want to experimentally install the scanner software onto my computer, (please forgive!), so I have to ask you... did the scanner software you downloaded actually run through an installation process, or did it simply "extract" some files to a folder located on your hard drive, requiring you to go to that folder and run the setup installation?

aroweyen

aroweyen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Disconnect the scanner.
Uninstall the software, hopefully it's in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
Restart your machine and check to make sure the scanner reference is gone in Device manager

i havent tried the steps that u have given me, coz im still at the office... unfortunately the there's no entry on add/remove program w/c is for the scanner

By the way, I don't want to experimentally install the scanner software onto my computer, (please forgive!), so I have to ask you... did the scanner software you downloaded actually run through an installation process, or did it simply "extract" some files to a folder located on your hard drive, requiring you to go to that folder and run the setup installation?

yes, it run through an installation process and it actually told me that it was successful... the installation process took few seconds, its very fast... i dont know where it installed the file coz i cant see it on program files

Edited by aroweyen, 12 September 2009 - 06:03 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok.

When you get home do everything except "Uninstall the software" since its not in Add/Remove Programs.

When you run USBDeview, please make sure to correctly identify that the item you're uninstalling relates to the scanner. I didn't mention this before, but thought I should just to be safe.

i dont know where it installed the file coz i cant see it on program files

If the software is anything like other scanner software, it'll just install on the C drive... not necessarily in Program files. Just go into Windows Explorer, and see if you see anything in the C drive branch. There'll probably be a folder with reference to Packard Bell, Diamond, or Scanner, or something. If it's not there, then perhaps the driver went straight into C:\Windows\inf. After you remove the the scanner reference and as you reinstall the software, try to pay attention to where the software installs, if you can.

If Windows new hardware wizard pops up, and you can't locate the folder, direct it to C:\windows\inf to see if it can find anything.

You could also do a search on your computer for Packard, Packard Bell, Diamond, Scanner, etc, to see if Windows can find anything.

Let me know how it goes.

aroweyen

aroweyen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Restart your machine and check to make sure the scanner reference is gone in Device manager.

by the way how do i delete the scanner reference? where can i find that in device manager?
if i disconnected the scanner there will be no scanner entries there...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

by the way how do i delete the scanner reference? where can i find that in device manager?

You stated earlier the scanner was under other devices.

if i disconnected the scanner there will be no scanner entries there...

It all depends how Windows handled the scanner detection. The reference may still be there even without the scanner connected, and if so, just delete the entry. If not, then don't worry about it.

The idea is to remove all reference to the scanner so Windows will detect it again. You action with uninstalling the software, deleting the Device manager entry (if present), and USBDeview deleting the registry entry by uninstalling it should take care of this.

Now whether or not this will do anything to fix your problem once you go through all of this, is another story, but we have to try something. The only other options I see is you search the internet and try various old and new drivers, or buy a more up to date scanner.

Advertisements

aroweyen

aroweyen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
alright, got u!
im going to try this as soon as i arrive home... thanks

Edited by aroweyen, 12 September 2009 - 08:14 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, let me know how it goes or if you have more question before you start.

aroweyen

aroweyen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i did the steps that u gave me... still the same thing

installation was successful but when i connected the usb scanner it still has the yellow question mark in device manager, i cant browse to updAte it because it does not have an .inf file

aroweyen

aroweyen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i finally installed my scanner! i use the bearpaw generic driver... and it installed my scanner successfully... my problem now is whnever i try to scan... it takes forever to scan it... i even use the scanner and camera wizard it stuck on reading picture information.. scanner was making noises

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hi,
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I was at work and also helping some other people.

bearpaw generic driver

:) Ok, never heard of it, but if it worked, then great! You must have hunted around for that one! Would you mind posting a link to the driver in case other people needing the same driver can find it? Thanks!

my problem now is whnever i try to scan... it takes forever to scan it... i even use the scanner and camera wizard it stuck on reading picture information.. scanner was making noises

Old scanners are inherently slow. As for the noise, it might just need to be cleaned. Perhaps you know someone who can handle doing mechanical things and have them clean it. It might also be that the rubber belt is so old it's deteriorating and can no longer handle the load of the scanner mechanism. Or maybe the scanner was actually scanning but the resolution you scanned at might have been too high and so it looked stuck. Try scanning at the lowest resolution, or make the scanner only scan a small area to see if it can at least get through the scan.