Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply

Dimension

Dimension

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm putting together a new computer and current have an 80GB IDE for my system and a 500GB SATA for videos, music and backups.

I am currently using about 80% of the system drive and so I was looking at getting a bigger one. However you just can't buy small hard drives anymore and so I'm wondering if:

I get another 500GB SATA and use RAID or, I get something like a 250GB for system and still use the 500GB for videos, music and backups. What size disk makes the OS perform best?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Makes no difference on the size. Providing you keep more than half the drive free, Windows is happy in that regard.
The characteristics of the drive are more important - cache size, seek technology, rpm speed, etc - as to what performance you'll get.

Dimension

Dimension

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have this drive: WD5000AAKS (16MB Cache, 7200 RPM)

Either way, I want to be able to have a backup copy of my documents etc. I just can't decide if to have another of the same drive and use RAID, to buy another drive and just perform backups or to buy perhaps an external hard drive for backups. What do you think?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
RAID won't help you if the computer is stolen.
Any external drive will be fine.

Dimension

Dimension

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ahh very true! never thought of that. external drive it is! thankyou.