Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lose info when upgrading

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
When you upgrade from Vista to 7, do you lose any information from your computer?
I just bought a Dell and the representative told me that I should back up all my files onto an external harddrive because when I upgrade to Windows 7 I will lose everything... is this true?
Because a friend of mine told me that when I upgrade to Windows 7 everything will remain the same and I will still have all my files and info

When I upgrade, will I lose my current files, pictures, docs, music, programs, favorites, etc?
i have 64 bit Vista now
How can I find out for sure?

Edited by hospitaldoctor, 12 September 2009 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

If you go the upgrade route rather than a complete install, then everything that is compatible with Win7 will stay. Therefore, make sure you run the "Upgrade Advisor" first.

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Win7 ultimate and the upgrade went seamlessly. No problems thus far with anything.

That being said, if something can go wrong it probably will. Backing up your data is just a smart move regardless.

Murray

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
I have to upgrade with Dell
Going Dell's route will allow me to run the Upgrade Advisor?
What is teh upgrade advisor? where can i find it?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

What is teh upgrade advisor? where can i find it?

Alright you can go here to get the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx

The thing with upgrades is that they may not upgrade correctly. Thus is why the dell CSR you spoke with said to back up your files to an external drive (Which you should be doing anyways :) ) When I upgraded from vista ultimate to 7 ultimate my upgrade botched. Where it upgraded but it was clearly flawed. I ended up formatting the drive and clean installing the OS.

I have to upgrade with Dell

Also you don't "have" to upgrade with dell. You can go out and buy Win7 in the version you choose from any major Store after Oct. 22. It will cost more but it will also not be branded by dell.

The upgrade advisor scans you machine for any currently know problematic programs/devices/drivers before you upgrade to Win7. If you have iTunes installed it will tell you to deactivate and uninstall before proceeding (well it did for me anyways)

Either way Win7 kicks Vista's ******

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
What are the differences between upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 via the upgrade advisor and doing it without the advisor?
how are you getting windows 7 so fast? it already came out?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The advisor simply tells you if you are going to have any compatibility problems - hardware or software. You can try without using the advisor and then find out half of your hardware won;t work or the majority of your software.

Win7 Beta was out a while back for testing as well as the Win7 RC program. Neither are available any longer.

Murray