Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Crash

• Please log in to reply

mohua

mohua

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A few weeks ago I installed windows 7. A week after I did, my computer began randomly crashing every 10-12 minutes. At first I thought it was win7 related so I installed xp on a partition. The problem continued. Frustrated, I ordered a recovery CD directly from HP and formatted my computer to factory installed settings, but the problem was still there.

Anyway, since the recovery CD did not fix it, I am assuming the problem is hardware related.

I have a tx2510us. specs:
http://reviews.cnet....?tag=mncol;psum

Basically, windows loads fine. However, the laptop just abruptly powers off without warning. This usually happens 0-5 minutes after startup. The weird thing is that in NEVER happens if I am playing a 3d game. I can play any 3d game for hours and it won't crash, but if I leave it idle on desktop for 2 minutes or am surfing the web it crashes. Another note, safe mode works fine and it also works if I disable my graphics driver (everything is choppy and low res, but no crash). Also, the laptop is impossible to use on battery as the crashes become more frequent. I have tried win xp, vista, 7 and all have the same problem.

I don't want to open up my laptop as I have no experience with that and I want to avoid costly repairs.

So I was wondering is there was any way I could troubleshoot the problem with doing any of those two....

Edited by mohua, 12 September 2009 - 07:52 PM.

Advertisements