Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound system

• Please log in to reply

cmomm

cmomm

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
One of your geeks has teied to assist me in shaping up what I called 'slow computer'----made some small progress (guess it is old like myself (87) and many need a complete 'hammer job or new unit'---can ahyone assist in getting my sound back?---beware you are dealing with a computer novice who is slow in fining the way to do yopur bidding---WW2 was easier than understanding completely this computer stuff to me altho' I think it is amazing to touch base with folks all over the world through the net

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I responded in your original post cmomm
Sorry I have been busy with home.
I did explain that I reread everything and offered a suggestion in that topic.
Thank you.

cmomm

cmomm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
last post I saw said you had ro recheck everything? -- I saw nothing after that? -- what did you suggest to do? --please repeat suggestion---thank you

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi there! :)

rshaffer61 said in the other thread:

It may be that the sound chip is not working correctly.
I have gone over everything twice and I just don't see where the sound got lost.

I do have a idela though
Try to reboot and go into the bios
Find the area marked
Onboard or Integrated Peripherals
Check to see that the sound is enable.
If not then enable it.
Make sure to Save and then Exit
Let me know if it shows up again.

I also had a thought based on your reported error of "No mixing Devices Found", which I've encountered before. Haven't seen that you checked this yet, so I hope it's OK if I mention...

Have you checked to see if there's a sndvol.exe file in System32 folder? Usually when I see the above error on a system and there's no sound it's because that file went missing somehow...

cmomm

cmomm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I would not know how (or dare, due to lack of knowledge) go into Bios or the System 32 folder-----don't know how to check the 'sound chip'---I realize it seems simple to you folks but I am screwed up now and do not want to make it any worse by my possible errors---if you wish to give step by step instructions it would be appreciated (or I will live with no sound until the computer finally 'gives up the ghost')-----thanks

cmomm

cmomm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Read some of the similar problems listed below on this page---some seem spesking to the same problem (after cleaning up the sound was lost)---went to 'device mgr' and have a yellow ! mark next to video controller( was told by former geek helper to de-install it as I had a Radeon card installed with seperate chip for gaming and would no longer need the intergtated controller)---would integrated video card have anything to do with sound?

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Do you mean the pictures of your device manager you posted for rshaffer61 in your other thread? :)

To answer your question, your loss of sound isn't from that driver he asked you to uninstall. That's video, should have nothing to do with it.

rshaffer is helping you, I shouldn't just jump in, I was just throwing out a suggestion if he wants to follow up on it. :)

But, in the interest of helping you complete his suggestion:

To boot into BIOS, you need to restart your computer. There will be a 5 second screen with wither an image on a black background or just a blue screen - this is the BIOS load screen.

There should be a couple of lines of instruction on the screen. They'll say something like "Press escape to enter setup, F8 to Boot Options (or safe mode), F11 to recovery". This is paraphrased, though. There are many different BIOS Softwares, and each has different commands to reach different boot options.

Whichever key it asks for to "Enter Setup" or "Enter BIOS", start pressing that every few seconds or so until a screen comes up with a lot of text on it - could be black with white text, or could be Blue with white or black text. Regardless, this is BIOS.

Don't worry if you miss it the first time, just reboot when windows starts and try again as soon as you see that first screen.

Since I don't know your BIOS or it's version, you're going to have to read every page carefully. Use the up and down arrows to navigate a page and left and right arrows to change pages. "Enter" or "Return" will select things. Be careful what you select! Only change what rshaffer recommended.

Read carefully down each page until you find a line that says "Onboard or Integrated Peripherals". Select it with the "return" key.

check "Sound" entry here. If it says "disabled", select with arrows and return key to change it to "enable".

Somewhere on the page it will tell you what button to press to "Exit and Save Work". Press this, confirm if asked.

The computer should reboot.

Let rshaffer know, in your Original Post Thread

if it worked, and if BIOS showed the device as enabled or disabled. If disabled, let him know if you successfully changed the setting to enabled and saved when you exited. If so, and your sound is still not working, then the problem is something else. Perhaps you're missing the sndvol.exe file, it may have gotten lost somewhere along the line - it's often in the system tray with startups and could have been disabled, though I didn't see that from reading your threads.

Also, the last picture you made of your device manager was missing some of the devices. You had a scroll-bar on the right of the window you were displaying the devices in, but never scrolled down and took a second picture of the devices on the bottom of the screen. This is important as your sound devices are down there.

Could you get another picture of that portion of the window, or make the window bigger so all of the devices are shown with no scroll-bar on the side of the window? This would be a big help. Post that in your Original Thread too. :) Don't worry, he'll sort it.