Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RegCure

• Please log in to reply

nanell212

nanell212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for your help - I deleted my old XP and put in my new one. The only problem I'm having now is when I try to get on the Internet, I get a message that reads "Windows Sockets Initialization Failed"?? I tried to delete and then reinstall my Verizon DSL but that didn't work either.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you now can get into windows the follow the next steps to check the system files.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

nanell212

nanell212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I know you're probably tired of hearing from me. I've done everything I can think of and I still cannot get on the Internet. When I first boot up I get a message 1\Newdot~2\Newdot etc. failed - then I also get a message SMWAN Windows Sockets Initialization failed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you on a wireless network?
When you said you deleted windows does that mean you formatted and then did a fresh install of XP?

nanell212

nanell212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have Verizon DSL - I installed a Windows XP disk - I don't think it's the same version I had before. Do you think if I installed a new version of XP it would solve my problem or do you think it's an internal problem?? I have Verison DSL and it shows that it is running when I look into the program.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So is the XP installed on another system?
Is it a OEM version that was installed on a system new when bought?
Retail installed on another system?
A new XP would assure it is not a issue then.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The 1\Newdot~2\Newdot errors are usually malware related.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post the requested logs in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

nanell212

nanell212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your help. I can't download anything because I can't get on the Internet - however you helped alot. I went into command prompt and it showed that my Media is disconnected. Now, as far as I can tell - I need to install my internet driver again (if I can find it). Is that correct??