Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Processor Detection problem

• Please log in to reply

Chirag64

Chirag64

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello, I just recently upgraded my computer by installing a new amd processor, the x2 550 Phenom II. But a week later, i suddenly noticed in MY COMPUTER properties that it says "Processor Model unknown" its core speed is 2.41 GHz and 1.75GB of RAM, but its supposed to show 3.1GHz core speed and 2GB of RAM.

I tried to verify this by viewing the details from a tool called CPU-Z, which shows that I've 2GB of RAM, and also detects my processor, but it also says that my Processor has 2.405 MHz core speed. Why is it so, when the web page of the product says that it should have 3.1 GHz core speed? :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go to the website of the people who made the board and look for a BIOS update.

Chirag64

Chirag64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
How do i update BIOS? will i have to reformat my system for updating it?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
I need to know everything about your computer and then a little bit more.
Use this program: http://www.gtopala.com/

Install and Run. Right-click on "Hardware" in bold type on the left and choose "Export To", then Txt. You can save this anywhere you like. Attach it to your next post please.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Updating your BIOS should solve the problem with the wrong processor detection.

The problem with the core clock being shown wrong could be b/c the processor is underclocking itself when idle. Download and install Prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ (No need to register and all that). Run the program and run a torture test with 2 threads (one for each CPU core). Then monitor the core clock in CPU-Z and see if it jumps up to 3.1 Ghz in a little bit.

Chirag64

Chirag64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Here's my computer's hardware details.

Attached Files

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
According to Gigabyte you need BIOS version F5 or later for your Phenom II 550.
You only have F1.

The easiest way to do a BIOS update on a Gigabyte board: On your drivers CD is a utility called @BIOS. This will do everything for you. Install it, choose to update the BIOS online and it'll do it all for you.

Chirag64

Chirag64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Wow, it worked perfectly...I had a little trouble updating BIOS, but once it got updated, it solved my processor problem. Thnx a lot!!!!! :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see this solved! :)