Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is 5AD888/C4A68A.exe?

• Please log in to reply

praxidice

praxidice

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I have an application that just appeared as a shortcut in my startup folder.

The program is C4A68E.exe

The filepath is C:\Windows\System32\5AD888\C4A68E.exe

I can't find any info on this application. I ran anti-malware and antivirus; nothing shows.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you install anything new like hardware or software prior top this issue starting?
If not :

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

praxidice

praxidice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe it was some Windows process that I wasn't aware of; sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

And now for fun with malware removal...

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is why the first questions as this could be caused by a faulty driver, software or hardware
If none of the above then the other cause is a infection.

praxidice

praxidice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Sorry I didn't address that question first. The only thing I have installed recently is a Firefox add-on called Sxipper.

No new hardware.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I agree With Rshaffer61 :)

I haven't encountered that file EXE. before. I can't find any legitimate purpose for it, right now. It is suspicious I would definitely go through the malware forum.

You could be infected with a morphing strain of malware... :)

good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the second verification Cbarnard :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I installed sxipper but I did not find that entry in my computer so it doesn't seem to be part of that program...

Good luck

praxidice

praxidice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I went to the Malware Forum and followed the directions there. When I ran Avira AntiVir, it found 5 viruses.

I had been running ESET Nod32 Antivirus. I think I'll discontinue that and stick with Avira (or whatever the latest recommended programs on this site are). ESET had been running the whole time and didn't catch it.

I had to delete the folder 5AD888, but everything seems to be clean now.

Thanks for your help! I initially thought I just had some strange software running.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a suggestion I would continue with the malware forum and let the Techs there go thru the requested logs.
They can make sure you have no hidden infection that could return later. Trojans, Virus's and Malware can disguise themselves as real programs and thus go undetected by some AV programs.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
My advice to you was not a direction to you to delete the file in question... Sometimes there are new strains of malware that need to be analyzed. You may have deleted a strain that could help the experts further understand the infection..."if you had one" I was just trying to advise you that you may in fact have a malware issue... and try to direct you to the appropriate place to get help.

Also the only way you can know for sure that your computer is clean is to have one of our experts here look at your logs and tell you, "you are clean"

There are many different antivirus programs out there, they can only tell you that you are clean of what ever it has been programmed to look for...

There are many kinds of malware and "they" are very good at evading protection systems...

My advice to you would be to Post a new topic in the malware forum and wait for one of our experts to assist you...

Good luck in all of your computing...

praxidice

praxidice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It must drive you nuts when posters aren't specific. Even when I try to be, I can see later where I wasn't.

Thanks for the advice. It seems that I should post in malware anyway.

I didn't delete the actual virus--it's just quarantined. But the folder that (one of) the viruses was in was empty, and I deleted that. I know you didn't advise me to do that, but it was empty, so I did.

I guess I thought the point of the pre-posting steps in the Malware forum was to lighten the load of people like you in dealing with people like me. :) I thought if I followed the steps and the problem went away, that I shouldn't bug the forums any further.

...but it seems I should post there anyhow.

Thank you very much for your help. I seem to have had the same virus at home/work/on my USB drive/at the printing station... Hooray.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

It must drive you nuts when posters aren't specific. Even when I try to be, I can see later where I wasn't.

Its ok I understand :) I do it to... You know what you are talking about but know one else does :)

My main concern is that you don't confuse what I advised you to do, with removing things that may or may not be good.

I'm in training currently, so I'm not qualified to tell you how to fix it.

Good luck, I will continue to follow you to see your progress...:)