Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice for semi new build (especially cpu)

• Please log in to reply

eagle99

eagle99

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I need to build a new system and also keep the cost down.
My idea is to only purchase what I really need and upgrade slowly (as I make more $$). From my old system I will be using: hd, monitor, dvd, keyboard and mouse.
I am an average computer user (internet, word, etc) with occasional web design and photoshop.

Below are the components I am thinking about getting.
I know that the video on the mobo is not so good and plan to upgrade the video as soon as I can.
The total comes to about $300 (there is a rebate but also shipping costs).
I could spend another $100.
The components are just my best guess for a decent system. I do like the smaller case and the fact that it could take a regular atx mobo in the future. I don't really use dvds to much and I don't think i will ever need more then two hard drives (i could always save my files to another computer in the house).
Suggestions are welcome for a better build.

• I did not put the cpu in the list b/c I am not sure what I should get. I would also like to use an older cpu (intel) to save some money and upgrade it later, what is the most economical cpu (intel) that I could use?
  • Does this motherboard allow me to upgrade to the newest video cards?
  • Is this motherboard any good at overclocking (I never have, but might want to try)?
case: GMC R-2 Toast AZT-GMCR2-BL Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower 29.99
psu OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V 59.99
mobo GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 64.99
mem mushkin 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 29.99
os vista 109

Thanks to all who spend their time helping out us people with less knowledge with computer builds.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

That case is very weird! Funny it's called toast because you wouldn't be able to put a very powerful system in it otherwise it would be toast! With such a weird design I can't imagine very good air-flow inside the case. Make sure to grab a second 80mm case fan for the back so you can get as much airflow as possible, also one on the front if you can fit it.

For the processor, Gigabyte have already done the work for you. I am a big fan of the Gigabyte budget motherboards and use them regularly in my budget builds here at work. If you look up that exact model on the Gigabyte support webpage, you'll find a "CPU Support List". It will tell you what processors are supported and what BIOS revision is needed to support it.

For upgrading the graphics card, the motherboard will take the newest ones out, but of greater concern is whether or not it will fit in the case, and even if it fits, if it will get decent airflow so it doesn't become "toast" (sorry, couldn't resist)!

Cheers

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Besides for the weird case (i liked the fact that it was a bit smaller then most the others), I wanted to know if that motherboard is capable of overclocking.
I am thinking about getting:
cpu: Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz

and have really no experience in overclocking. I do know that some cpu/motherboard combination are better than others.

Thanks.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It should overclock well to around 3.5-3.7 Ghz on air... be sure to monitor your temps though.

The Toast case does look really funny :)
You should get some fans for it if you decide to buy it.
Otherwise I would strongly suggest you buy an Antec 300: http://www.newegg.co...9-042-_-Product

Edited by edge2022, 14 September 2009 - 05:32 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Antec 300 hands-down anyday.

Yes you would be able to overclock on it, although edge2022's frequencies would be classed as a large overclock (in my book), and should not be attempted unless you have a better case for airflow, a decent aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan, and even then you would need someone with quite a bit of overclocking experience to get there.

If you do go ahead, just try for a simple overclock (say 2.9GHz or something) and aim to make it stable, watch the temperatures, stress-test it etc...

Cheers

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Antec has also released their Antec 200: http://www.newegg.co...LC5B-_-11129070
Use the promo code: EMCLXMS46 for $5 off.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok you convinced me to get the Antec Two Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower

Because I am on a budget I will also be getting the Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz. Maybe I will overclock it a bit.

I would like to get a mother board that has video (with the intent to upgrade later) and firewire.
What's the best board I could get on a budget?

Thanks.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I suggest you get a cheaper motherboard and add a firewire card instead of buying one with firewire since that will be cheaper.
Like this: http://www.newegg.co...4-003-_-Product

This a is good board: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813186167
But it won't really overclock.
This board will allow some overclocking: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157146
This is a good overall board which should also allow you to overclock your processor well: http://www.newegg.co...1-347-_-Product
It's all up to you... Asus, Foxxcon, and Gigabyte are all good brands... shop around yourself and tell what interests you.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
If I get a board with PCI Express x16 will I still be able to put in a newer video card or do I have to have the PCI Express 2.0 x16?
Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
They are inter-compatible. :)

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the fast response.
That means if I get this board I could use: this card? I do not have to worry if a video card says PCI Express 2.0 x16?

Thanks for the help.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Be aware that the 9800 GTX+ is a dual slot card... it will take up one PCI slot too (the cooler will cover it).
I strongly suggest getting the ATI 4870 instead since it performs better for about the same price.
http://www.newegg.co...1-148-_-Product
I own this card, and trust me, it runs very well. The Powercolor version is one of the cheapest but it also has a special cooler built for it by Zerotherm... it keeps this card cooler than most other 4870s around 47 idle and never goes above 70 load.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting the
ASRock G31M-S LGA
with this cpu:
Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz

I have about $55 left for a video card. I am not a big gamer but do want 2 monitors. I was looking at this card: EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2

Is this the best I could do with money?

thanks.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good... the 9500 GT is a good choice, I would have also suggested it.