Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys WRE54G set up issues

• Please log in to reply

icanhazhalpslol

icanhazhalpslol

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, guys!

I just bought a Linksys WRE54G wifi repeater and setting it up has been a major pain in the butt. I'm hoping you guys can help me.

There are 3 options for setting this thing up: the auto config button, the wizard, and manual. Last night, I came home and tried the wizard, since auto configuration only works if you have disabled security on your network. Long story short, the wizard could not locate the WRE54G. So, I disabled the security on my network and attempted to use auto-config to no avail. I enabled security again and attempted to configure the unit manually.

Since my router doesn't use 192.168.1.xxx, I linked the repeater to my laptop via ethernet and assigned it an IP address within range of my network (used a high number so we shouldn't be seeing issues there). I set the subnet mask and the gateway to match my network also. It's set to the same channel, same ssid, same passcode, and it shows blue lights for both link and activity (which is supposed to indicate that it has been associated or whatever with my network). The repeater shows as an available network, but, when I try to connect a device to the internet using the repeater, my PS3 in this case, the device cannot obtain an ip address.

Am I missing something or did I do something incorrectly? I know a little about networking, but apparently it's just enough to get me in trouble, so if you suggest anything complex, you might have to walk me through it a bit. :)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by icanhazhalpslol, 13 September 2009 - 01:47 PM.

Advertisements