Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Reinstall problems

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
System Status: Formatted Hard drives with full data backup and all motherboard drivers available.

System Specs:
Motherboard: PM800DMS
Processor: P4 speed unknown
Memory: 512MB DDR400 (Passed 6 hours of Memtest with 31 passes and 0 fails)
Power Supply : L&C Model: LC-B300ATX
Other: Original WinXP Home SP1 Disc available along with SATA boot drivers on floppy
Hard drive:
  • Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA 1.5gb/s & 3.0gb/s 7200rpm (ORIGINAL HD)
  • WD Caviar 640GB SATA 3.0gb/s 7200rpm (BRAND NEW HD)
  • WD 60GB IDE (TEST HD)
Situation:
My buddy's desktop was hammered by hundreds of viruses etc. He waited until it would no longer even boot into safe mode to ask for help. So I have been fighting it for about two weeks now. At this point he just needs his system back up and running. I backed up all files to my system and scanned them thoroughly for viruses. I formatted his hard drive and prepared to do a clean install of XP Home on the system when I started to get problems. Using his original HD (Seagate Barracuda 80GB), I could get WinXP to install all the way to where it was "Installing Devices" with approx 35 minutes remaining and it rebooted on it's own. It would then start back up and resume the XP installation and get to the exact same spot and it would reboot again... (endless loop). Thinking that the HD had problems on it, my buddy bought a new HD (WD Caviar 640GB) so I thought I'd try installing XP to it. However, neither BIOS nor WinXP recognizes that it is there. So I figured I'd bypass the SATA issue all together and try to install XP to an IDE HD I had (WD 60GB). The problem here is that I get to the same spot as the original HD and it reboots just like the original HD. So here we are.... All HD's are formatted and clean, and we need your help...

We would prefer to have the 640GB HD be the solution (more storage space) but if we just get it up and going with one of the other HD's, we'll install it as a secondary drive.

So anyone got any ideas as to what to check next?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This'll be a hardware issue. If it was hard drive a replacement one would have solved it but it hasn't, therefore the board has an issue.

The PM800DMS is a Jetway 478 board, brand new in the spring of 2004. By now it'll be well out of warranty, virtually worthless and as it's using DDR memory and AGP graphics, replacement boards may be more than the machine's actually worth.