Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP video adaptor on dell laptop accidentally disabled

• Please log in to reply

Donseattle

Donseattle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HI I somehow ended up in the display advance properties and disabled the video adaptor and restarted the computer! It loads normal until the windows screen is done loading then , no screen. I have tried leading my way through it using the narrator program (painful) but cannot get back to the enable screen. Anyone with any tricks to get this thing enabled? Please

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Do you remember what you did? Where exactly did you disable this? Were you in Device Manager?

The reason I ask is because you'll have to go back there and re-enable it.

Try this... Turn off your computer. Now turn it back on, and constantly tap the F8 key. This will hopefully bring you to the Safe Mode menu. Once you get to the menu, choose to boot up into Safe Mode. It'll take a little while to boot.

Once you're in Safe mode, go to where you disabled the video device. If it was in Device Manager and you don't know how to get there, then go to Start>run... and type in devmgmt.msc and hit OK.

Once in Device manager, look for your video adapter... it'll be under Display Adapters. Right click on it and choose "enable". Then click on Apply/OK to close out the Device manager window.

Restart your computer and see if its back to normal.

Donseattle

Donseattle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was in the display settings - the first thing I tried was safe mode but it locks up as soon as all the data flashings across the screen

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I was in the display settings

What exactly did you do? Please explain more clearly the steps you took to disable the video adapter. What were you trying to do?

Donseattle

Donseattle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry - I sent the last response from my blackberry - so it was short and no details

I was in display properties - advanced - Adapter
I clicked on properties (in the adapter screen) That put me into the General screen for the diaplay adapters - then because it was late and I was not thinking i disabled the device (bottom on the screen)

I had later forgot i had done it - restarted the computer and with it disabled i lose the screen right after startup (once the windows logo goes away)

It loads normal until the windows screen is done loading then , no screen. I tried safe mode, nothing, tried all modes to boot, vga, safe w/command,ect.

I have tried blindly going through narrator using my laptop as a guide to get back there and re-enable. I get all the way to where i need to click on the "advanced" button and i do not think it is highlighted - i cant click it -

I could rebuild the whole thing again I guess - but i was trying to save the hassle

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Thanks! Basically, you disabled the video the same as if you were in Device manager.

Disabling the video adapter should just tell windows to use the generic video driver. It should still allow you to boot in both normal and safe mode, but at a lower resolution.

When you tried to run in Safe mode, did you at least see the log on screen?

I'd really hate to think that you would need to rebuild the machine just for this. I don't know what to recommend other than running commands via the Recovery Console, or attempting a repair. I don't know if chkdsk /r will fix this, but you can try running it at the Recovery console. Do you have your Dell Recovery Cd?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If your willing to give it a shot
Start computer. Move mouse a little and right click. (I hope this has given you desktop properties, Even if you can't see it).
Press down arrow 7 times
Press Enter
Press tab 4 times
press right arrow 4 times
Press tab 7 times
press enter
press tab 5 times
press right arrow 1 time
press tab 1 time
press enter
press tab 1 time
press up arrow 1 time
press enter
press tab 2 times
press tab 7 times
press enter.

Depending on the settings previously set in the general tab you may need to reboot
Cheers
Peterm