Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows loading screen fades to black

• Please log in to reply

SamC151

SamC151

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I get to my windows XP Pro Loading screen it will fade to black , Darken alot if you will and just sit there. Sometimes if I restart the computer it will run just fine. It has been doing this for along time , about a year now. I just reformatted( have be putting it off for months ). I used a fresh copy of Pro thinking that maybe the CD last time was corrupted. It seems like i can not find any reason that this is happening. Any ideas ?

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi SamC151

Welcome to GeeksToGo :).

I think you may just have a driver issue. So lets have a look:

Please can you download and install Everest from HERE
Once its installed (leave all of the options just keep pressing next) double click on the shortcut.
Then once its running:
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post

Don't include anything under the line "DEBUG- PCI"

The attached picture can be used for reference

Attached Thumbnails

• Everest.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a different monitor on your system to verify if it is the OS or the monitor?
My bet is the monitor is failing.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Have you tried a different monitor on your system to verify if it is the OS or the monitor?
My bet is the monitor is failing.

If the monitor was failing would it actually boot in the first place? I mean would it not be more of either randomly turning on and off or just not turning on?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be but what I'm looking at is to test the GUI on windows to make sure the monitor being used can handle it or the monitor itself is failing. By testing with a different monitor (preferably newer model) the resolution the windows wants to use will be able to start.
Since the system is running according to SamC151 it means more of a video or monitor issue to me.
Worth a try and if it doesn't work then you can start with the system itself.
Just a suggestion. :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

It could be but what I'm looking at is to test the GUI on windows to make sure the monitor being used can handle it or the monitor itself is failing. By testing with a different monitor (preferably newer model) the resolution the windows wants to use will be able to start.
Since the system is running according to SamC151 it means more of a video or monitor issue to me.
Worth a try and if it doesn't work then you can start with the system itself.
Just a suggestion. :)

And a good suggestion at that :)
I'm up for learning new things and that was one of them :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

When I get to my windows XP Pro Loading screen it will fade to black

This is what made me think the monitor.
It works fine in basically DOS mode but once it hits the GUI
Graphical User Interface the monitor goes black but the system continues to boot.
SamC can you hear the windows welcome chime?