Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen -Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply

Chelle Belle

Chelle Belle

• Pip
  • 7 posts
A lovely family member of mine got my computer infected with what was popping up as 'Windows Anti Virus Pro' pop up. I was unable to access any functions on my control panel or my system restore. Unfortunately before I was able to fix the problem with the Windows people, they used it again, and I think now I'm royally screwed.... Now I'm getting a blue screen that says 'Fatal System Error'. The windows folks said that it's a operatoring system problem and to contact Dell. Any other words of advise out there?? I'm just so scared that all my pictures and everything is going to be gone....

Advertisements

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Is this a blue screen that comes up with a bunch of white lettering all over saying Fatal System Error along with a hexidecimal # like 0x0000004f. If so, could I get the 0x00000 # that pops up? I might be able to help with this.

Chelle Belle

Chelle Belle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh that would be great if you could!! Thank you! Yes it gives me a half of screen full of that mummble stuff. Will you be on tomorrow? I'm at work now and I did not write the exact # of the error down. I just found out about all this over the weekend. Do you think I will lose all my personal data?

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yea I'll be on tomorrow. There is always a possibility of data loss, but there are ways to recovery data before performing any troubleshooting and that is to take the drive or PC to a service center and have them back up the data. There might be a possible reinstall of Windows, but won't know till I get that hexi- #.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi Chelle Belle :)

With a fatal system error it is usually the general integrity of the system that is an issue.

If you could answer the following questions that woul be rally helpful:
Did you ever get the infection removed?
When does the message appear? For example does it just appear when you o a certain action, or is it after a certain length of time?

First things first lets try and get some information from your system regarding the error. If you can, can you follow the instructions below:

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
  • Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
  • When scanning is done, go Edit > Select All.
  • Go File > Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
  • Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'm pretty sure, all those errors are caused by an infection.
You can try to post in malware forum and see, if those guys can bring your computer back.
If not, I'd slave the drive in another computer to save your data, and I'd format the drive afterwards.
Remember to scan all backed up data BEFORE putting it back onto fresh install.

Chelle Belle

Chelle Belle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is what my blue screen says-
Stop: C000021A {fatal system error}
This windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000022 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
the system has been shut down.

I myself have never messed my computer up, don't know how this person did it, so I have no clue what steps in any direction to take....

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Chelle Belle

Chelle Belle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This may be a silly questions but I really have no clue. How do I do all this malware and spyware clean up from the blue screen? How do I get past it?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

This may be a silly questions but I really have no clue. How do I do all this malware and spyware clean up from the blue screen? How do I get past it?

There's never a silly question :)
As a question can you actually get into Windows? and if so how long is it before there is a blue screen?

If you can get into Windows for a certain period of time then follow These Instructions as best as you can. Then create a new topic Here

If something doesn't run or there is a problem then simply let them know. There are ways around everything. 

If you can't get into Windows then start a topic and let them know and see what they say. They may send you back to this topic but there are external scanners that can be used. 

Come back if your confused any more :)

Chelle Belle

Chelle Belle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Awh thanks...that's nice of you to say! I will probably be asking a lot of 'silly' questions, as this is my first time having to deal with computer issues. And I'm trying to do it myself. My computer is password protected so I put in the password then windows starts to boot up and then I get the blue screen. So I do not even get to my desktop. I'm not sure if there is something I can do by pressing one of the F keys for the set up menu??? And if I do need to start a new topic, what should I call it?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Awh thanks...that's nice of you to say! I will probably be asking a lot of 'silly' questions, as this is my first time having to deal with computer issues. And I'm trying to do it myself. My computer is password protected so I put in the password then windows starts to boot up and then I get the blue screen. So I do not even get to my desktop. I'm not sure if there is something I can do by pressing one of the F keys for the set up menu??? And if I do need to start a new topic, what should I call it?

hmm that's a bit of a pain. We could try other steps but with you stating that you had an infection its probably calling it.

I would start the new topic and call it "Windows anti Virus Pro infection" and then state the problem. Make sure you give a link back to this topic. I'm pretty sure they will use a bootable disk to externally scan and then fix it from there or possibly test safe mode. But we will see. 

Just don't be afraid to ask questions, they won't bite...well not most of them anyhow  :)

Edited by rev_olie, 17 September 2009 - 03:37 PM.