Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not detecting USB

• Please log in to reply

bmbishop

bmbishop

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, to begin- I left my ipod at school and so borrowed my sisters mp3 player. I plugged it into the USB slot in the back, deleted all the avril lavigne, and pulled it out (without the safe-device-removal process, which never messed up the computer when i did it with my ipod). When I pulled the usb out, the mouse stopped working, so I reset the computer and It worked again.

However, after i turned the computer off again later that day, the mouse didnt work anymore. Neither did my keyboard.

So today, in hopes of working around it, I bought this small adapter that I plug the usb mouse into, and then plug the adapter into the ps/2 slot. When i plugged it into the green one, it didnt work. When I plugged it into the purple one, it did work. I got excited in hopes I had solved the problem, and unplugged the adapter to see if the same thing worked with the keyboard. It didnt. Now neither work.

Needless to say, I cant get past the log in screen, and i cant access the boot menu. All i can do is stare at the login screen.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bmbishop...

I don't know that this will help your situation or not, but I have seen it work in similar circumstances.

Shut the machine off and disconnect from the power source (unplug the machine). Let it sit for an hour or so, then connect the power, plug in your keyboard and mouse, and boot the machine. See if it detects your devices as Windows starts.

wannabe1

bmbishop

bmbishop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If it means anything, I tried plugging the mouse in slowly. About halfway in, the light on the mouse turned on. I left it a sec and pushed it all the way through, and the light stayed on, but the cursor on the screen still didnt move.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
About all that tells us is that there is power to the port.

Let me know if there is any change after you power completely down and back up.

bmbishop

bmbishop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
K, I tried your idea and still nothing :)