Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for portable external hard drive that is upgradable

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am in the market for an external hard drive that is portable, using a 2.5" hard drive. I want one that is upgradable so that in the future as hard drives get bigger I can simply buy a laptop hard drive and open the case to replace the hard drive. I have heard that the OWC drivers are upgradable but are there others on the market that can be upgraded?
I will be using this to backup Windows Vista and later 7 to and wish to mirror the backup to the hard drive. That way if I have a hard drive failure I can boot up from the backup and once the internal drive is replaced I can copy the data onto the new hard drive. What is a good backup program that I should look at to do this.
Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any 2.5" enclosure/caddy on its own will be fine. The whole idea behind these is you buy the size you need as well as the caddy, then if you need a bigger one later on, just swap it out.
The issue with the sealed units is they're not upgradeable later on.

By the way, you can't run Windows from an external drive.