Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow running pc

• Please log in to reply

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Once again.. thank you happyrock, I'm off to bed now so I will do this tomorow and let you know how I go

Advertisements

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry I havent been back here sooner Geeks but due to advice I was given here I have had some interesting problems with my pc...

it seems to me (and I aint that knoweledgable!) that because of the changes I made to the system configuration utility, it caused me to loose all my desktop icons and task bar (only thing left was the background) I ended up having to change these settings back to the way they were to start with just so I could get my task bar and icons back.

my computer is running a bit faster than it was when I first opened this topic but still not at the expected speed it should

I am now also encountering problems with my windows live messenger where as soon as I sign in it has to close but it does give me an error code: 84cc0020, I hope you can help me with this

you also need to tell me, was I supposed to loose the AVG icon from the slide out menu down next to the clock on the task bar??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't use or recommend windows live messenger...post your questions about it in the software /applications forum here...

use msconfig again and uncheck everything except your anti virus firewall and systray

you also need to tell me, was I supposed to loose the AVG icon from the slide out menu down next to the clock on the task bar

did you uninstall it like Ron asked you to do...if so...then it will no longer show up in the taskbar

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, Im attaching a screenshot of the msconfig->startup because I need you to tell me which is my anti virus, firewall and systray and I cant work it out, the only part that is missing from the bottom of the screen shot is windows explorer.

At the previous point where I lost the AVG icon from the slide out menu, I hadent uninstalled it but now I have and Im now using Avast which I got from rsheffer's signutre.
Thanks
Bushie

Attached Thumbnails

• msconfig.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nooo...YOU google each one of those startup items and then tell me which one is going to be left checked

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Under the colums 'Command' and 'location' what does the 3 full stops mean?
eg. %systemroot%\syste... HKLM\SOFTWARE\mircosoft\windows\currentver...

I assume that there is extra letters/numbers/symbols that are supposed to be there but they dont fit, would I be right???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok well how do you expect me to 'google' it if I cant read the whole thing?
I cant expand the box to give it extra space to fill, I cant copy and paste it and when I run my mouse over it it doesnt come up in a yellow box like it would in other places!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try googling just the part under start up
like Smtray

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok I have 1 that Im certain should be checked and that is 'ashDisp' which is part of avast and 1 that Im not sure on which is rundll32, I never found an 'systray' so r these the ones that I am to leave checked???

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
good job... :)... leave those 2 checked and uncheck all the others...they will all still work...they just don't load with windows and use resources that can be used for whatever programs you are using...

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
after I done that and restarted I noticed more speed when it comes to browsing the internet so thank you. Can you tell me why and explain it for me please

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry...nope...I don't have the time do do that...google is your friend