Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

On-Board Sound not working

• Please log in to reply

bass1702

bass1702

• Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, Get this, So, My power supply on my computer died on me. Been wanting to get a new computer case anyways. So I take ALL of the insides of the computer out (very carefully and gently) and dust them off (they were all VERY dusty). I order a new case and new power supply. When it arrives, I get everything back up and running agian. YAAAY.

Here is the problem. I plugged my speakers into the Green Line Out port as always. Turn on my computer. Yeah....NO SOUND!!! What the...?????

Here are my System Specs.

Motherboard- ASUS M2N4-SLI with AMD 64x2 Processor
2 internal hard drives
Geoforce Video Graphics
On-Board Sound (device manager states Realte Audio 97), Lan, USB
2 CD/DVD Media Drives

Now, when i went into my sound setting and changed the speaker config to 6 channel and then plugged my speakers into the BLUE port, the sound worked when playing music, videos, etc. However, SYSTEM sounds did NOT work such as warning sounds, error sounds, clicking in I.E., and the Windows Log On and Log Off Sounds. Nothing.

So I then plugged the speakers BACK into the Green Port and nothing happened. NO SOUND AT ALL!!!
So ive updated all my hardware drivers, re-installed my sound drivers, did windows update, reverted all sound options BACK to defaults and ensured that the sound card was on, configured for windows, etc. Everything checks out. The Device Manager reports NO errors whatsoever. everything is working according to it.

Since all I did was pull everything out and put it all back into a new case, no system changes were made at all. everything was still the same when I powered everything on. I just cannot figure out why my Green Sound port isnt working.

Could there be dust inside the actual port, blocking full complete connection from the speakers to the port??
Could there be something loose that is easily fixable?
Can I just plug my speakers into the Blue port and use that for all of my sounds (music, video, system sounds, etc) as if it were the green port???

Please HELP!!! Ive reached the end of the internet trying to research this problem and have found NO help whatsoever! So please...Someone help!!

Thanks
Chris S.

P.S. I am a Network Administrator and am VERY advanced in Computers. However, When it comes to motherboards and on-board devices...yeah...have never had to work with that stuff...so I know NOTHING about that stuff. But I am, id say, intermediate when it comes to Hardware and then VERY advanced when it comes to Software, Windows, etc. I built my own Server with a Domain, Active Directory, etc. So, I am not totally dumb. But this problem has me stumped. And its getting on my nerves!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused because the front panel audio is wired up wrong.
To test the theory, power off the PC, take the side of the case off and find the front panel audio block, which is typically a 10 block connector with one missing pin one in one edge, typically found across the bottom left edge of the board. It's labelled "FP_AUDIO" most likely. Find two jumpers (computer ones, not woolly ones) and place them either side of the missing pin across the panel block.

For example, looking at the front panel audio block you'd have this if you look at it one way (X is a present PIN, O is the missing pin, the numbers are for information only):

1 2 3 4 5 

X X X X X
 X X X O X

6 7 8 9 A

Put one jumper so it covers (in the above example) pins 3 and 8, and the other jumper covers 5 and A. This will provide pass-through for audio. You can power the PC back on and see if it plays sound again.

Edited by Neil Jones, 15 September 2009 - 02:22 PM.

bass1702

bass1702

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, uuummm....yeah. I have NO idea where to plug these jumpers for my FP Audio. All I see on the Jumpers is Front R, Front L, Mic, Grnd, Grnd. Thats it. and on the Motherboard, it doesnt even match what the jumpers say, so I dont know where to plug things in at.

MotherBoard

AGND +5VA BLINE_OUT_R NOT USED BLINE_OUT_L
MIC2 MICPWR NOT USED NC LINE OUT_L

The above is the layout of the FP_Audio Connections.

The Jumpers dont match any of that. so I dont know what to plug in where. I hope you can understand my little graph thing above. LOL. But again, the jumpers of the FP_Audio panel are Mic, Grnd, Grnd, Front L, and Front R. Thats it. no clue where any of those goes.

Chris

bass1702

bass1702

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
AAAH. it didnt show up the way i typed it. let me see if I can scan the picture in my motherboard handbook and post it that way.

bass1702

bass1702

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, This is the motherboard layout for the FP_Audio Connector.

motherboard.jpg

Again, The jumpers coming FROM the FP_Audio are as follows:

Front L
Front R
Mic
Grnd
Grnd

Please help me figure out which jumper goes where on the motherboard.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The markings on the cables from the front of the case are irrelevant at the moment. Disconnect them all.
The diagram shows you where the jumpers need to go on that block connector.

bass1702

bass1702

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
what kind of jumpers? I dont have any that im aware of.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Here's a nice picture of a jumper, the big red square:
http://www.nordichar...mg/432/cmos.jpg

You can pick these up for next to nothing at any computer shop.