Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changing from windows vista to linux

• Please log in to reply

ivans1990

ivans1990

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok so im trying to help fix my friends laptop. curently she has windows vista instaled on it how ever it has had a fatal system error and she has no recovery disc to fix it. i have downloaded a ubntuo version of the linux os and was just wondering if anyone thort it is a good idea to fully install this on her laptop??? or would this lead to further complications in the long run ??? any help is much appreciated

thanks in advance

ivan

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello ivans1990.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Before you go do something this radical how about some system specs.
Make and model
How old

What kind of system error are you getting?
BSOD?
Drivers?
Application?
Internet?

Most manufacturers now do not supply recovery cd's but a recovery partition is on the hd.
The Owner is suppose to create a set of recovery disks first thing when they buy the system.
The above information could help to save you some time and headaches.

ivans1990

ivans1990

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok so the make of the machiene is emachnines d620 my friend has only had it about a month she dosent no alot about computers and i dont no alot really. but i do no she did not make any recovery disc when she bourght her laptop. when you turn the pc on it gives you the options of safe mode, sofe mode with networking, something else and start windows normally i have tryed all these and all it does is jus go to a black screen. but when she first discovered that her pc was broken it went to a blue screen say please insert recovery disc this dose not happen any more.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being that the system is only a month old and new I presume.
It would be wise to have them repair the problem under warranty.
Unless it is due to user error then it should be covered.
By formatting and installing a different OS other then what was originally loaded on the system you will probably void any warranty she has with the system.
I suggest she contacts emachines customer support and ask about warranty repair or at least how to access the Recovery partition to bring the system back to factory settings like new.
Go HERE to the Emachines Cutomer Support page and find their phone number.