Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something wrong with XP?

• Please log in to reply

Kristian1987

Kristian1987

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone,

My name is Kristian, I'm from the UK and a new member :) I stumbled across this forum looking for some help regarding my computer. I did a search but nothing came up (or the words I was using didn't bring up correct threads).

Basically there are a few problems which I personally think all interlink, but this may not be the case?

On start up my computer wants to perform a disc check, so I let it run and it seems to go well, until it suddenly gets stuck on one file. I've taken a few pictures on start up including the file it seems to get stuck on. It just keeps scrolling down this file on the blue disc check screen, I left it for hours but it won't go further than this one file and just keeps repeating it over and over again.

When I skip it on start up it's extremely slow, I've tried altering what loads on start up but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Before this happened it was fairly quick. At the same time all of this was going on I suddenly couldn't move any MP3 files from the disc drive after burning a CD. XP is telling me they are all corrupt and can't move them? I've tried going into safe mode but it won't let me move/delete them.

Kaspersky is out of date, so I went to update it and it will only get to 11% on the download, again I've left it for hours and it won't move!

When I want to shut the computer down it always asks me to shut down while the computer updates itself, again I've done this a few times, it shuts down for ages while it updates. It asks me everytime I turn the pc on!

One final thing is iTunes is now telling me it can't back up my iPhone on my computer. I've done a trouble shoot via iTunes and followed the instructions but to no avail :) I'm certain all these problems are caused by the same virus/system error, as they all appeared at the same sort of time and I could do all of the things mentioned without a problem.

I would be really grateful if someone could help me out and get my computer back to normal :)

Regards.

Kristian

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0168.jpg
  • IMG_0169.jpg

Edited by Kristian1987, 15 September 2009 - 11:09 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This will be a defective hard drive. Windows only ever runs CHKDSK on NTFS drives for one of two reasons:

1) You told it to.
2) It thinks there's an issue with the drive.

Kristian1987

Kristian1987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info Neil.

How would I go about fixing the hard drive? Is it a case of replacing it?

Regards.

Kristian

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have two questions :-

Is XP installed in the usual place, on C:\ ?

If so, should a problem on D:\ be causing such extreme aggravation ?

Alan

Kristian1987

Kristian1987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Alan,

I assume so, it was pre installed when I got it. When it does the Disc Check it says "Checking File System on D".

Kit

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Kristian1987

I only have questions (hopefully relevant),
and will leave it to resident experts to give solutions.

It seems to me that Kaspersky should update regardless of problems on D:\,
unless your system is horribly badly configured with critical files on D:\,
e.g. virus signature database or even Windows\system32 held on D:\ ! ! !
Another possibility is that malware has entered your machine, and first order of business was to prevent Kaspersky from taking action.

It may be useful if you state whether all the MP3 and iTunes stuff are on D:\ and vulnerable to any real problem with D:\, or whether you have problems even with MP3 files that are held on C:\.

I will be monitoring to see how this is resolved, but will leave it for experts to assist you.

Regards
Alan

Kristian1987

Kristian1987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Alan,

iTunes and all my MP3's are saved on C:\ I can't delete any of the MP3's as windows say they are corrupt/unreadable. I also have problems like this with files saved on my desktop.

Regards.

Kristian

Edited by Kristian1987, 16 September 2009 - 03:19 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Kristian1987 ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
like Neil Jones said This could be a defective hard drive or a corrupt sector or 2 on the drive...it could also be malware ...
so lets start with this...
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...
go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice is to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r then press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

Kristian1987

Kristian1987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks happyrock. I'll give this a go tomorrow. Hopefully it will solve the problems :)

Kristian

*EDIT* Just realised I have to burn a CD. I can't due to MP3 files being in the E drive and I am unable to delete them because they are apparantly "Corrupt/unreadable".

This message often pops up "D:\$Extend\$Objid"

Edited by Kristian1987, 16 September 2009 - 12:12 PM.

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Kristian1987

The CD can be burnt on a friend's P.C.,
It will still be able to boot your P.C.

WARNING.
Do NOT exchange Flash Drives with your friend's P.C.
If you have have malware on your P.C. it could travel via your Flash Drive to your friend,
and when he realises you will have lost a friend ! !
His P.C. must download the rc.iso itself.

Alan