Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown virus - unable to log in to XP

• Please log in to reply

Kamiawolf

Kamiawolf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone,

Just three days ago I began having trouble with my computer. I logged in fine, checked my email (I didn't see anything malicious or suspicious) and then tried opening Firefox. I was told I could not connect to the internet. I restarted my computer, logged in, and several warning pop-ups began flashing. I unfortunately did not check to see what they said but instead tried to get to my anti-virus software as quickly as possible. I unplugged my network cable and ran AVG. After a full computer scan, it told me I had no viruses. I figured the warning was just a small fluke with my computer and ran the rest of my daily tasks - the only sign of concern was when I opened Photoshop and an error appeared; I do not remember the exact wording, but something along the lines of Windows and a bad image. I shut off my computer, and ever since, I cannot log back on. It brings me to the welcome screen, but the log-in field never appears. I have waited for over an hour and have restarted my computer several times, but it never appears.

I hate to say that in my panic, I did not back-up any recent, important files. A huge weight will be lifted off my shoulders if someone can show me a way to log-in long enough to back-up some files. Once that is done, I'm willing to reboot Windows if necessary to get rid of any virus (although I would rather not). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements