Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One Laptop Can Connect To Internet, Other Cannot On Router

• Please log in to reply

mykidsarecats

mykidsarecats

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new here and need help with an aggravating problem and afraid to screw something up.

I have 2 laptops (Dell Latitude and Compaq Presario)until recently they were connected to a wired D-Link EBR 2310 with no problems. I have Comcast and the modem is a Motorolla SB6320 I believe. Ok, here is what's going on:

The Dell will connect to the internet just fine while connected to router, the Compaq will not. It says is page cannot be displayed server not found or something like that (tried IE and Firefox). I tried shutting down the laptops and powercycling both the modem and router (several times)and still have the problem. I also reset the router back to factory settings. I even did a system recovery on the Compaq thinking maybe a driver needed to be resinstalled.

If I connect the Compaq directly to the modem, it will work. The Dell will connect just fine either way (thank goodness *knocks on wood*).

The Dell is running on Windows XP Pro. The Compaq is on Vista and is barely a month old.

Strange thing is I can log into the router with the Compaq, but does not want to connect to the internet.

I hope I explained everything ok. :)

Advertisements