Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP NEWBIE

• Please log in to reply

animalguy10

animalguy10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a very old computer i use for a ssvt or tv card system The computer ran fine for some time using windows XP. I decided to get more ram for it so I did another stick i installed in the computer... when plugged in it wouldnt run right kept half startign trying to re start.. so i took teh new ram out and put the old back in it. there where two places for RAM so only the first one thats 256 is there now.

the computer started telling em the onboard battery may need replacing as the date and time were reset..?? i replaced the little round battery...

Now windows will start and if lucky get to the login page then shut down and imediatly re start.. and the first page says to hit f1 as the battery onboard is dead.. perhaps the battery i put in is bad

heres my question why would xp just keep restarting thsi computer was working fine for awhile i even used the computer online then it just started shutting off more and more faster and faster..

is this the xp software.. or just that little battery im going to try to replace the battery with another ...

any suggestions. i can replace a car motor with my eyes closed but not good with software.. HELP?

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi

Welcome to GeeksToGo :)

I wouldn't reccomend connecting a car battery to the PC just yet :) :)

Now lets check the memory you have in your PC that is (you will require a second PC if you cannot boot)
Please follow: How to use Memtest

Then tell me any results in your next reply or if you have any problems then please ask :)

Also in regards to the battery, make sure that it is clipped in tight. If it is then take it out and make sure there's: no grease, finger prints or dust on the battery or in the battery slot. Clean it if there is and replace it.
If that doesn't work then your battery is most probably a dud and needs a new replacement.

Edited by rev_olie, 16 September 2009 - 01:03 PM.