Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change non-UPnP to UPnP

• Please log in to reply

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi, guys i've been having technical issues with my new router / modem my ISP has provided me with for about a year now. My old modem was fryed in a thunder storm so I was given this one. It is a Siemens Gigaset SE567 it acts as my current modem, and router together, internet works great, can connect to google, download, use messenging programs, but my real problem here is with gaming my ping seemed to increase by a major increase I currently live in central canada and I would ping 30-40 to people in west coast I now ping 100-110 to people in saskatchewan and about 100-110 to west coast. I have contacted my ISP and they said the ping is normal and there is nothing they can do for me, although as a gamer its very troubling to me and makes a huge difference. While installing the new msn I checked my internet connection with msn and it says "You are connected to the internet through a non-UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator)" So I have also checked into my routers interface and have found there is a DMZ option here is my options with DMZ below;

[] Disable DMZ
[] Enable DMZ with this Host IP address: [ ]
[] Enable DMZ with this known Host Ip Address (Drop down box with IP's)
[] DMZ Always enabled
[] DMZ enabled for: [ box with time I can enter in ]

Somebody please if you can help me change my router to fix this NAT on my games I will be greatly appreciated thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Putting your computer in the DMZ zone (DMZ is short for DeMilitarized Zone) is effectively putting it out into No Man's Land and you are asking for trouble.

In computer security, a demilitarized zone, named after the military usage of the term and normally abbreviated to DMZ; also known as a Data Management Zone or Demarcation Zone or Perimeter Network, is a physical or logical subnetwork that contains and exposes an organization's external services to a larger, untrusted network, usually the Internet. The purpose of a DMZ is to add an additional layer of security to an organization's Local Area Network (LAN); an external attacker only has access to equipment in the DMZ, rather than the whole of the network.

Putting a PC in the DMZ is unlikely to solve the issue, particularly if the issue is being caused by network congestion elsewhere on the internet between your provider and wherever you've going.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks Niel Jones I will turn off DMZ. Do you think my problem could be due to the fact I have two computers connected and a laptop running off wireless on my siemens? Because I remember one of the tech guys on the phone saying it doesn't split the connection like a router would which would mean my ping would go higher right?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unless the router is set up otherwise, by default all traffic gets equal priority however it connects.

Say the maximum download speed for your connection is 300kb/s.
When all three computers are downloading at the same time, all other things being equal, all three of them would end up downloading at 100kb/s.

The main issue with wireless connectivity is it's prone to all kinds of interference from all kinds of sources causing drop-outs and what not. Far more sturdy to use a wired connection where possible.