Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with POP3 problem

• Please log in to reply

filrock

filrock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,
I'm having problems with Outlook Express. It won't send via my ISP's POP3 server. It researched the error code given and it looks like it is an COM/Active X issue as RegCure shows it everytime and after running RegCure I can send emails and then later I can't unless I run RegCure again.
Can anyone shed some light on the problem, and any permanent fix I can try.
Thanks very much for looking
filrock

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Regcure is not a fix for an email problem and with all due respect I very much doubt whatever Regcure is doing is the cause of your problem, not to mention it's a particularly dangerous program.
What error code are you getting please?

filrock

filrock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
The Error Code is 0x800CCC0E.
I was only using Regcure as a fix to allow me to send emails. I'm beginning to think it might be my ISP, but they claim ignorance. It is not even fixing it now, so I have stopped using it. It's just so intermittent, and I have double and triple checked all the settings.
Thanks

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi filrock,

You misunderstand. What Neil is trying to say is that not only is RegCure not really fixing the problem (which it obviously isn't, since it keeps repopulating), but Registry Cleaners actually do much more harm than good. It's probably created a ton more problems in your computer that you're not going to notice for a while. It's good you're not using it anymore - it's compounding the problems. Uninstall is as soon as you can.

This code string indicates an SMTP Exchange Server error. Are you running Outlook Express to read email from another service? It could indicate other things, but that cannot be known without the full parameter string. This error all on its own is an SMTP issue, not an activeX issue.

If you have ActiveX issues, this is most likely a Virus or other Malware. Since it keeps repopulating, and is getting worse, that makes me more suspicious it's an infection.

Go to the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum and start in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. Follow all the steps in that thread, and then run the logs at the end of the steps. Post them in a new thread on that board.

When you have a clean bill of health from those techs, if you still have the same error, come back here and we'll work it out.

Edited by n3ko, 18 September 2009 - 10:56 AM.

filrock

filrock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great,
I will.
Thank you all.